1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The small parlay was Netherlands, Italy and Denmark for +202. The big one added Wales, Albania, Belarus and Austria. Austria was down 1-0 in the 80th and scored 2 in 7 minutes. The last game, Denmark got a PK in extra time to win 2-1.

Also hit on the QB yards/Bryson bet.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hope it's not rude to ask, but what does something like that pay out? Even if it was a $5 flyer you had to be approaching four figures, right?

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Strong! Also had the Wales-Ireland under.

I look for bad lines on Groups C and D. Smaller nations. I hit a +700 on the correct score for North Macedonia-Estonia at 2-1 with a $14 free bet from the DK promo on guys who shot 75+ the other day. The 2-1 correct score is my go-to soccer long shot if one team is a clear favorite but the total is 2 or 2.5.

Webster likes this.
  4. Webster

Just under 25-1. All of the teams were favorites.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Plenty of wild rides in the NFL today:
    1) Nick Chubb intentionally goes out of bounds at the 2-yard line with under a minute to go, when he was on a breakaway run. The Browns, favored by 4 1/2, instead take a couple of knees and run out the clock on a 10-7 win over the Texans.
    This one opened Browns -2 1/2 as well, so for some lucky bastard it might have saved a nice middle.

2) The Cardinals game, which was a rollercoaster the entire final minute. Cardinals were favored by 3, and the Bills were a solid money line play. Cards lead 26-23, but the Bills score a touchdown with about 30 seconds left to go up 30-26. Then the Cardinals hit the hail mary at the end to take the lead, but they take a knee on the two-pointer to avoid a potential block/turnover and return. Final ends up 32-30.

3) Lions were -3 against the WFT. They blew a 21-point lead in the second half, kicked a field goal with 2:37 left to go back in front 27-24, gave up a field goal with 16 seconds left, then hit a 59-yard game-winner at the gun to win 30-27 and salvage the push.

6. exmediahack

Was hoping Al would offer a gambling story in eulogizing Paul Hornung. Wait. There it is!!

MileHigh, Batman and playthrough like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Kind of a bad beat for those who bet "yes" on the hole-in-one prop but then got the untraditional hole location on 16 for the final round. When you make that bet, you're dreaming of the Sunday funnel hole.

Webster and exmediahack like this.
  8. Webster

Hit a France, Portugal, Montenegro and Latvia parlay today for +906. Also have those 4 and Austria, England, Italy, Kosovo, Czech Republic, Greece and Ireland tomorrow for +11166. If that hits, drinks on me.

9. Webster

Totally agree. Why did they change the location — isn’t that iconic for Sunday?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, was surprised by that too. It's been in that spot for years and at least on that side of the green. This year was the complete opposite. Though in 1975 when Nicklaus made his putt, it was at the top of the hill.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

12. exmediahack

If I may ask, what are your specific plays? I’ll ride with ya for a $5 free bet.

Lithuania-Kazakhstan. I am eyeing a promising total. 2.5. Local book has U-140, DK has O138. The totals often plunge the morning of the games. If DK gets to +160 and the under stays -140, I’ll probably get deeply involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted