1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We all pay for sex on some level.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

DK is doing an odds boost for a $50 spread bet on the Lakers-Blazers game. To “honor” Kobe, you get a free bet in the amount that the Lakers score more than $81. DK won’t let you take both sides of the bet, but if you have an account at another site, an easy arbitrage by taking both sides of that bet and the free bet at -110 (provided the Lakers score more than 86).

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For men, we all pay in some form.

Fixing things on the weekend. Taking out the dog, just twenty minutes after the last time we took the dog out. Listening to some really boring story from her office and ill-perceived slight of a co-worker. Paying "straight cash, homey" for a professional for an hour of her time.

We all pay in some form.

Batman likes this.
  4. exmediahack

I needed this after the MLS debacle last night.

William Hill also has a bonus on Lakers-Blazers. Pick one side (spread bet) for a minimum of $100. Get $1 bonus for any player on "your team" who gets more than 20 points. Example: if Lillard gets 37 and Whiteside gets 23, you'll get $17 + $3 = $20 bonus.

So...

DK. Lakers -7 at $50
    WH: Blazers +7 at $105
    Book C: Lakers -7 at $45.

I'm shading it a little more to the Blazers for tonight.

I may get a little greedy at Book C and let the "Lakers Total Under" at various points, depending on what I see in the first quarter.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was nuts. I took the Lakers -7 at DK and then used some free money on another site on the Blazers moneyline. The Lakers had 80 points at halftime! Then I remembered late that DK gives you a free $10 NBA live bet every day if you bet $20 or more on pregame bets, and put that on under 257 with six minutes to go. Darned good stuff.

6. exmediahack

So a $54 free bet will be coming to us today. That’s always burning a hole in my pocket when I get those. Need to treat those like actual money and not “promo chips”.

If either Jazz or Nuggets get to be +250 ML today, I’ll probably put the free bet on that and start to bet the other team back the other way as it goes under -250.

7. playthrough

You're so right on the big free bets. Must ... not ... parlay.

exmediahack likes this.
  8. exmediahack

I do like parlay with this but very strictly.

They have to be 2 or 3-leg parlays where the games are on different days or time windows.

Soccer total unders where I can bet it back in-game with real money.

Or something like NBA quarters where I have a line discrepancy between books. If the Heat are -1 in first quarter with the free bet but Pacers are +2 at another, I’ll hop on it.

My trouble spot. I’ll get these $5 free bets all the time on DK. Then I’ll go to soccer and do the Correct Score to pay out +1100 on, say, a 2-1 final. That becomes my kryptonite.

9. playthrough

I like to use free bets on series prices, which can lead to a lot of hedge opportunities.

10. exmediahack

yes. Thinking of here on Mavs-Clippers.

11. exmediahack

Glad I didn't launch on Mavs +300 ML for today with that $54 free bet.

What I did NOT do... I was looking at Nuggets +750 ML late in the third quarter. Thought about it... and didn't. Dang.

12. playthrough

Really kicking myself after last night ... was clicking around and landed on tennis at ESPN2, where Serena was down 1-0 in the third set after blowing a win in the second and her body language was completely awful. I quickly laid 14 to win 10 on her opponent. (My base unit is a sawbuck; big spender I know.) Serena continued to completely go through the motions, hitting lousy serves, not chasing any shots and barely moving off the baseline. I should have gone back to the apps and laid -200, -300, whatever the heck it was soaring up to because it was a forfeit in slow motion (she lost the third set 6-1; only reason it wasn't 6-0 was because her opponent kind of sucked too -- or maybe she was in shock at what she was watching). It was bizarre.

Draft saved Draft deleted