1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling reference question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Mar 31, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe I'm too tired at 1 a.m., but am I missing something in this story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=5042061&sportCat=ncw

No wonder the oddsmakers in Vegas have UConn as a 26-point favorite against the Seminoles -- an almost unheard of spread for an Elite Eight matchup. And so overwhelmingly popular were the Huskies at tournament's beginning, that Jay Rood, director of Race and Sports for MGM Mirage, put together a proposition bet: UConn versus the rest of the NCAA field. You had to lay $800 on the Field to win $100.

Bettors flocked to the Field, forcing Rood to up the risk. You now have to lay $1000 to win that same $100.

Doesn't Woj have that backwards? If the Huskies were so popular, wouldn't they--not the Field--be a minus-800 overlay? And now, with the way they've played, wouldn't they be minus-1000? I can't imagine bettors "flocking" to go against UConn.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You have it right. Only if the handle was one-sided in UConn's favor would the odds go from 1-to-8 to 1-to-10.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, tri. That's a pet peeve of mine--writers using gambling info to make a point and botching it.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

UCONN is about as dominant as they come, but I can't imagine risking $800 to win $100.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a crappy payoff but it's about as good of a lock as you will get. There is no team within 20 points of UConn.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep -- either Woj, or the editors, bungled that.

As for the prop, it's a question of your respect for money. Given this
    kind of risk/reward ratio, the UConn women are a far better prop than the typical horse bridge-jumpers go all in on in an effort to reap at 1-10 (or 1-20) return. And, yet . . . there's always food poisoning, kidnapping or practice injuries to contend with. Of course, at this point, it appears that UConn could play 4-on-5 and beat anyone in the field.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, a 1-10 horse could break down in the backstretch. I think UConn could coast home even if 2-3 players threw their riders.

Draft saved Draft deleted