1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Galveston County Daily News - sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jun 18, 2009.

1. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Well all know, at least before the financial meltdown, that owners could more than afford to pay newsroom people better given the astronomical profit margins.

Now the pay is dwindling even more, while workloads are increasing ten-fold everywhere.

So, yeah, "bitching" about pay is an issue that isn't going away on these boards any time soon.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I know two folks who worked there. One is now ASE for preps at the Chronicle, the other is a writer at a larger paper. The writer is miserable at the current job, but I don't think said writer will be applying for this one because of pay difference.

Not a commentary, just what I know.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I put in for it and was told days later they're going elsewhere. Whether that means they've filled the job or they just want someone that isn't me, I don't know, but I did get a pretty prompt e-mail response; a fading courtesy in this profession.

4. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I also applied for this job and received a similar response to the one Mystery Meat. However, I only received after sending a follow up e-mail to see if my stuff had been received. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

5. esport12

esport12 Member

They are paying 28k for this job.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

How did you find this out??

7. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Can you even live on 28K in Galveston?

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

single person? absolutely. support a family? not without clipping coupons and a working spouse.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

If you're really tired of such banter, read other threads or ignore it. People have the freedom to share their opinion here on various issues in our profession, regardless of whether you like that fact. And if you don't like it, too bad!

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It is what it is. Not sure that anyone can realistically support a family with only one wage earner today. Certainly not working in media.

11. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

The point, similar to yours, is that its rather pointless to complain about something that will probably never change. If you can't support your family or whatver your plight, then it's probably more logical to find a different profession than to complain and hope things get better when really, it probably neve will.

12. esport12

esport12 Member

Job has been filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted