1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Galveston County Daily News - sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jun 18, 2009.

1. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

I'm friends with one of the people involved.

When Buckley took the job back in mid-2006 he had a three-person staff. He inherited one guy and hired another. The guy who already was there took care of most of the rec stuff. That guy eventually was laid off as part of a company-wide cutbacks.

The remaining two sports guys shared rec duties until the guy Buckley hired moved onto a weekly paper elsewhere in the Houston area that paid more money. Buckley hired a guy he knew from Alabama, who took over the rec duties.

That guy, who I'm told lived at home with his parents despite being 40 years old, left abruptly. I never got an answer why.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

$35k? That's a lot more than most places are paying these days. And Texas isn't exactly Boston or San Francisco when it comes to cost of living.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Strip down your resume and send out your college/internship clips. On the off chance that someone is actually hiring, $25k would be a good haul.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Would the live at home with mom at 40 guy, happen to have a last name starting with the letter, "B?"

5. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

Nope. It's not hard to figure out who if you did a tiny bit of research.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I have 25 years of daily newspaper experience, including nine on an SEC beat, and I've sent him my stuff.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

More power to you, J_D. I just found "this is not an entry-level position" to be a mite snooty, given the size of the paper and the nature of the beat.

With that said, I sincerely hope they hire you and pay you every penny you're worth.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you would enjoy galveston, jd. the city has a very colorful past.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Okay ... it's on!! :D

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

If the writer was LG, he's known for leaving quickly. Once when he was the SE at a 11K daily in Alabama, he went into the ME's office one day and told him he was burned out on the newspaper business. He left to take a job (not kidding) to take a job waiting tables at a Red Lobster. About a year later, he turned up in Tennessee working as the SE for the same ME he left in Alabama. Maybe he burned out again.

11. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Nothing I love more than people bitching about the pay scale in this business. If you don't like it, get out. Quit muddying all the job threads with the same stupid tired shit about pay. If you want to get paid more, do something else. It's not getting better any time soon.

Edit: I'd like to add that Southern is a pretty solid company. They like to hire from within for higher-up jobs and they're surviving pretty well compared to the Gannetts and JRCs of the world.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

To say discussing pay about jobs muddies threads is myopic. No, individual comments probably won't lift the scale for a specific gig, but it would be inhumane (and unfair) not to provide candidates with as much information to go on as possible. There are still hirers who have a little leeway, and like buying a car, experienced negotiators have an advantage.

Draft saved Draft deleted