1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Galveston County Daily News - sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jun 18, 2009.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Didn't this paper used to (or maybe still does) have a full-time outdoors writer?

At any rate, I'm very familiar with this area. My parents live in Dickinson, my sister lives in League City and teaches at Clear Creek and my brother lives in Pearland, which is right next to Friendswood in Harris County.

I haven't seen the paper in awhile, but my recollection is that it's kind of quirky. FWIW, it's the oldest continuously-operating newspaper in Texas. Not interested in the job myself, but this might not be a bad situation for the right person.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

They also cover all Astros home games. Josh left Alabama to take this job, so he could get his foot in the door covering MLB. He usually covers the games himself, but the former reporter in the job that's open used to get a few MLB games as well.

3. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Buckley is a good guy. Easy to get along with and wouldn't be a bad boss. As for the paper, I don't have a clue. Never been to that part of Texas. But I do know this: Buckley is bright and takes pride in his work. So, if the price is right, this could be a pretty good gig.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

haven't seen it in a couple of years but always thought galveston was a decent little paper. if i were younger and lower on the ladder i'd be interested.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It was a respectable paper for its size when I lived in the region a number of years ago.

Yes, Galveston gets hurricanes, as does virtually any city on the gulf coast or Atlantic seaboard. Just part of the territory.

$400,000? Dude, no one is expecting you to buy a house there. As stated, plenty of good preps. The downside is there's really not anyplace to move up to there.

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Honestly, there are few opportunities for advancement anywhere in the business right now. Sounds like a change-of-pace job. I'd be interested in the pay scale. My bet is $35K tops.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'll take the under

8. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

So it's not an entry-level position, but the pay is? The newspaper wants an experienced reporter willing to work for next-to-nothing. Just tired of hearing the same thing again and again.

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

again, where did the previous reporter go? a step up? out of the business?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ding ding ding.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The whole scale has moved down. "Entry-level" is a lot lower than it used to be.

12. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Terrific high school sports in Galveston Co. You could live on the outer skirts of south Houston and commute to Galveston pretty easily. But yes, Galveston, which is an island, got battered very hard by Ike last year and is still recovering.

Draft saved Draft deleted