1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gainey's daughter missing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Dec 10, 2006.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Red still laps the pack when he wants to. And that stuff he always knocks out of the park.

YHS, etc

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He turned 80 in August and started his hockey beat in '54.

Still one of the best.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Great pieces by both Fisher and McGregor....

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They've called off the search, of course.

If you don't have children, you can't even imagine what Bob Gainey is going through.

Losing a child-particularly in a case like this where the body may never be found--is unimaginable. It's a parent's worst nightmare and one of those situations where you'd gladly change places with your kid.

RIP.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Such a damn shame that all this keeps happening to such a dignified, classy guy.

And I thought the McGregor column was much better.

And light years less self-serving.

6. Baloo

Baloo Member

I completely agree. McGregor's was poignant & original. Fisher starts off with a cliche, about how non-parents can't understand (which, by the way, I think is BS. It doesn't take being a parent to understand Gainey's anguish, just like being a parent doesn't equal understanding his anguish) & proceeds into triteness. No one deserves this? What a brilliant point. This isn't an indictment on Fisher overall, but that column, especially coming right after McGregor's, did nothing for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted