1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaines Adams dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Jan 17, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Thanks, moddy.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Very sad story. RIP.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believe a simple EKG would've detected that.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Man, so tragic. R.I.P.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

It would be nice at some point if someone were to hold the NFL accountable for so many of its players dropping dead in the prime of their lives.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

How? Waylon's friend was 29 when he died and I'm pretty sure he wasn't in the league. People die. People die young. How is the NFL accountable for someone dropping dead of an enlarged heart at home?

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Not necessarily. I once wrote about two athletes dropping dead (father and son, separately) like this and a cardiologist said sometimes you can't tell someone has a heart condition until the autopsy.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Their guys sure seem to drop dead at a faster rate than players in the other sports. Thomas Herrion, the Niners lineman who died after a game in 2005. Korey Stringer. Now Gaines Adams. Are there three players combined who have dropped dead in the other sports in the last 10 years? I can think of two in baseball: Joe Kennedy and Steve Bechler, and Bechler's death was at least somewhat related to ephedra.

I think we're kidding ourselves not to think the demands of the game are at least contributing to these guys dropping dead in their 20s.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Buccaneers fans always thought the guy was a stiff.
    Now they're right.

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Dude, coming from someone who covered him in college, that's just wrong.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Darryl Kile.

12. Seriously? A guy dies of a heart attack at 26 and this is what you choose to post. Gaines was a friend and a high school classmate of my brother's and, from what I know, a good guy. Grow up.

For everybody else... Why can't an enlarged heart be detected?

Draft saved Draft deleted