1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaffe machine McSnarky refers to Obama as "Young man"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 23, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It's not racial, but it certainly isn't the smartest thing for McCain to say. Not only is it condescending (or at least could appear that way), but it draws more attention to his age.

He seems to want to publicly joke around about his age, which in itself may not be a bad thing, but if you're going to start calling Obama a "young man," it foments an issue instead of deflecting it.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

For Chrissake, the geezer is 71 years old. Who isn't a young man to a 71-year-old?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I must admit that at age 38, when someone calls me a young man, I get a little giddy.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

http://www.britannica.com/eb/question-616563/16/male-life-expectancy-United-States

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

All I know is I think just about everybody on this board should be lucky enough to be in the kind of shape McCain is mentally and physically when we're in our 70s.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

McCain's just trying to turn the age issue on its head and attempting to cast Obama as an inexperienced kid. He'll go with it for a week or two and if it doesn't seem to be working, he'll abandon it. It's just a typical campaign stratagem. Nothing racial about it.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't blame McCain. He probably said it just after standing up while he is in one of those dizzy spells.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bingo. But I don't think this is something he'll be abandoning. This wasn't a slip of the tongue. It was calculated. It is campaigning and it was relatively tame. McCain doesn't have a ton to campaign on. If this thing goes to a general vote today, McCain gets trounced. He has two perceived advantages with some people. 1) He was a POW and a lot of people feel warm about him because of that and also extrapolate it to mean he knows foreign policy. 2) He is older and more "experienced" than Obama.

He is going to play those things to the hilt, because they are his biggest selling points. The reactions on this thread are amusing. People who were never going to vote for McCain anyhow, are offended by a ploy like this to imply that Obama is young and inexperienced.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

McCain should have called him "Sweetie."

This whole thing is getting way beyond silly:

"I'll see your Rev. Wright and raise you a Rev. Hagee"

"I'll see your Michelle and raise you a Cindy."

"I'll see your POW status and raise you a new G.I. Bill."

I think I might enjoy floating in an isolation tank until mid-November.

10. I saw a story somewhere (Slate?) that wondered what effect HD TV will have on the race. It sounds silly, but having McCain in HD vs. Obama in HD would really, really highlight the age difference. And not in a good way.

Maybe it's a lot of nothing, but some people (not you or me of course) are swayed by TV performances. When these two stand next to each other for a debate, no one will have to suggest the age issue. It'll be right there for everyone to see.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

So McCain's strategy is to come off like a cranky old man? Between this and his diatribe yesterday, that's the only conclusion I can come to.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Heard at the Easter Egg Roll: "You kids get off the White House lawn!"

Draft saved Draft deleted