1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

G.E.’s Strategies Let It Avoid Taxes Altogether

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 24, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Release the hounds:

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Re: G.E.’s Strategies Let It Avoid Taxes Altogether

Huh, you'd think conservatives would support GE in this case.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I need the phone number for their accountant.

4. YankeeFan

You'll need a lot of phone numbers:

5. YankeeFan

You might want some lobbyists too:

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well who knew when corporations said they needed tax breaks in order to create jobs they meant jobs in their own how-do-we-get-out-of-paying taxes departments?

7. YankeeFan

975 jobs is a lot more jobs that Obama's stimulus created.

Sorry. Too easy.

Isn't that incredible? 975 lawyers. Holy Shit.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Last I checked, GE is a pretty big corporation.

9. Magic In The Night

Well theoretically, my tax dollars are paying for GE's jobs as they use those lawyers to come up with tax avoidance strategies. Because they are paying less taxes, all of us who do pay are paying more. Or we'll be going without programs we would like our taxes to go toward, such as NPR or you know, Social Security, because Congress will have to cut those to eliminate the dreaded deficit. BTW, I'm wondering when is Boehner going to have the floor vote on canceling Social Security. He promised that and I really await that day because then it'll be Vive La Revolution!

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

See, I think where we go wrong is when it becomes a "blame the corporation" game. What GE is doing is legal -- it's sickening, but it's true. It's legal because what all the people arguing about "conservatives" and "liberals" fail to grasp is that whatever team you think you are rooting for is responsible for this.

Blame your legislators. They took an oath to serve you, and instead rape the country for power and money.

Business Week did a story about a month ago, about GE's strategy of paying lobbyists to buy off legislators for favorable tax code treatment.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_10/b4218027853982.htm

This is a political corruption issue. As long as we have a ridiculously overcomplicated tax code, which is a great way for elected officials to receive legalized kickbacks, this is what we will reap. Our legislators love it and have created the system. It makes them rich. They fill campaign war chests (and who knows what else) with the money they get in return. And that money keeps them in power.

Two of GE's most prominent lobbyists are John Breaux and Trent Lott. Each are getting paid by GE to call their former cronies (democrat/republican) offering money in return for favors.

The power we have given the Federal government, and the corruption and waste it has dumped on the country, should have people up in arms. Instead, the conversation shifts to GE (which is just playing the hand as it was dealt), instead of to the political corruption, or to a conversation about republicans and democrats, when they are exactly the same and both responsible.

11. Magic In The Night

I realize the corporations only do what legislators and the stupid people who live in this country allow. That's why I'm for publicly financed, 6-week elections. Also, the flat tax. We once ran the formula for the flat tax on the editorial page. I would save about $14,000 a year under that. Of course, I have a 12-year-old car and a 20-year-old TV. Instead, I pay the freight of General Electric.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

You mean we get screwed no matter which party is in power? You don't say!

Draft saved Draft deleted