1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fyre Festival disaster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Apr 28, 2017.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

We watched the Netflix doc today. Holy shit, I could not believe the guy was actually going to suck dick for that water. (And mortified that my 10-year-old heard that while having lunch. Damn Netflix.)

Billy Boy should be flogged every fucking day. I don’t have much sympathy for the idiots who followed “influencers” and signed up for this shitshow, but, goddamn, they all deserved better than what they got.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Netflix is made by the guys who helped promote it and knew the thing was going to be a dumpster fire but didn't do shit about it. Fuck them.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That doc was made by the people who Ja Rule and Billy hired and didn’t pay. The Hulu doc was made by people who paid Billy a quarter million bucks to be part of the film. Neither documentary discloses the ethical compromises.

I may wait for somebody to edit them into one big documentary and post it on YouTube.

As someone who loves the Exumas, I’m glad it failed. Anybody who’s ever been there on a proper getaway could tell the infrastructure just isn’t there.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I’ve now watched both and I agree, watch both.

The Netflix one has the oral sex story. The Hulu one has his girlfriend. You really need both to get the full appreciation of the lunacy.

HappyCurmudgeon and nafselon like this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Netflix and Hulu Have Dueling Fyre Fest Docs. Here’s the One to Watch.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Agreed. I thought the Netflix doc was awfully kind to the staff. It portrayed them as loyal, order-following soldiers rather than the depiction they deserved: accomplices to massive fraud.
    I don't remember any law-enforcement voices in there expressing disdain for the egregious actions. Nor do I recall anybody asking why anybody would be so stupid as to go to the event after the red flags were so obvious to so many.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

McFarland claims that they paid him $250K for the interview. We should have learned by now not to take his word for shit.

8. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I didn't take that as "mind control" at all. I took that instead as the dedication of the ... the ... the, uh, would-be blower in just doing whatever was necessary to get the job done. I think he would have had the same commitment regardless of who put him in that spot.

And, to call Billy McFarland a glop of sociopathic pig shit is unfair to pigs and to shit.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but finding out Ja Rule's real name is Jeffrey Atkins makes me laugh really hard.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

It's a lot easier to spell for him.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Watched both. Netflix version was better. Saw that gofundme is taking care of the woman who owns the restaurant and put up $50,000 (lost) of her own money.

Draft saved Draft deleted