1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furniture recommendations ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here ya go Ragu - Pottery Barn just signed on with Marvel to design a like of Spider man furniture:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080211/FREE/352245487/1040/newsletter01

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Methinks Ragu needs a wife.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ragu, you might try looking into independent Scandanavian (sp) furniture retailers.

Most modern design comes from that sort of sensibility, and IKEA's stuff is designed there.

We have one here, so surely there are several near you (given that you live in civilization, and I don't).

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I have a couch and a $14.99 table for my laptop and writing materials in my apartment. That's it. I don't even own a chair. Furniture's overrated.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

pallister, That used to be me. I didn't even own a bed for years (during and after college). And even after I got one, it was only for a woman who thought I was a freak show for sleeping on a hardwood floor with a pillow and some blankets.

6. Boom_70

Seriously - try ABC Home - its down in flat iron district - Its the widest range and most eclectic of furniture stores that I have seen in NYC. They also have big wearhouse up in the Bronx that you can get some pretty good deals at.

http://www.abchome.com/DeptDetails.aspx?DeptId=furniture&DeptRowId=15#

7. The Big Ragu

That's a must hit, Boom. Already was planning a visit to see what they have.

8. Boom_70

They have a great interior design staff there that understands the "new york style" You can probably get some pretty good help.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Probably should not admit this in open court, but I don't feel the love for ABC...way too fussy for me. A lot of their stuff is SO frilly.

10. The Big Ragu

Frilly won't do me at all... But the website does have links (with few pictures, though) to modern and contemporary collections... Looks like there is way more in the "traditional collection," but it still looks worth checking out to see if there is anything up my alley. I suspect from the Raymour and Flanigan recommendation earlier on the thread that Boom and I have different tastes. I walked into one of their stores and didn't last 15 minutes... The stuff was good enough, but the traditional style of everything wasn't me. ABC might be that way, but I want to see for myself.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why do you think he's fixing up his apartment and wanting good furniture. You have to use better quality bait for a high-quality catch.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is fascinating to me, because Boom has extremely masculine non-frilly taste....and ABC always struck me as very feminine and vintage.

This is why we're just going to live in a Westin for the rest of our lives.

(And btw, you can buy the entire Westin bed and all the bedding via their website.)

Draft saved Draft deleted