1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furnace and air conditioning ... how much?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, May 9, 2007.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Well, just got out of meeting with local mom-and-pop heating guys ... they are willing to remove my old gravity furnace and install heating and AC for $4,500. It's Goodman (formerly Amana), 95 percent efficient with 10-year parts and labor warranty.

The Mrs. and I feel we won't get a better price. I have an estimate (can't find the paperwork as of now, but it's in the 5-7K range; sans removal) from another major local company, and have an appointment with another company tomorrow.

The Mrs and I really think $4,500 is a great deal. Any potential pitfalls to avoid?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why did you get rid of the gravity furnace. I think gravity is going to be around for a while yet.

(Sounds like a decent deal, not knowing all the particulars)

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Well, we don't have central air and want it; each place we've talked to won't install air with the gravity in place. Also, the heating bills aren't the cheapest.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You talk like a college boy [/moe szyslak]

5. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Feel your pain. Just replaced my 19-year old system for $4,200. It's like I spent money to go to Hawaii and all I got was nuttin.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

You got some hot air, buddy :)

My girlfriend just replaced hers and she dropped $3,800.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Anything under $5K is a pretty good deal. Make sure you have 24/7 service available -- we scoffed at it at first, but ended up having to use it in the first month at 2 a.m. on a Sunday. They came right out and fixed it in about an hour.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Even if you're not installing central air from scratch, $4,500 is a good deal on a new furnace/AC. We replaced ours separately over three years, and it totaled about $4,100. Never had anyone out for repairs, and the difference in your electric and gas bills will be stark. They don't lie when they say the new units pay for themselves in a very short time.

By the way, does the $4,500 include new ductwork and everything?

Draft saved Draft deleted