1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furman Bisher on Dan Jenkins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, May 30, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Came across this on my morning perusal of clips...

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/05/29/writer_had_ring.html

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Jenkins was so great when he wrote for Sports Illustrated, and even when he wrote Semi-Tough. Then he thought he was so great, and his books weren't any good anymore.

His football stories in SI were textbook, as were Tex Maule's. But I really thought Jenkins sucked after he wrote Semi-Tough.

Discuss............

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just my humble take, but I think Bisher is terribly overrated. I grew up in the South long ago (watch it), and I don't remember seeing much of a ``fastball.''

I seem to remember a story about Bisher getting in a fistfight at a rather advanced age with some camera guy, so I'll give him that. The column? Eh.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

bisher was venerated in the southeast.
    elsewhere, he didn't make much of an impression.

5. joe

joe Active Member

"You Gotta Play Hurt" is flat-out the funniest sports book ever.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Its semi-prequel, "Fast Copy," is pretty good too. Set mostly in the 1930s, when Jenkins was just getting started, and gives you a feeling of what it was like to work on a medium-small paper in those days.

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

So who's better: Dan Jenkins or Sally? Dad or daughter? Or do different eras make it too hard to say? Discuss...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dad.

Daughter writes some good stuff, great stuff on occasion. But Dad set the bar.

9. jaredk

jaredk Member

Dan's sui generis. Better than any of his pale imitators, he hides his understanding of human nature inside laugh-out-loud jokes. Sally's the best working sports columnist today, but by degrees not by kind.

10. Speak for yourself, henry.
    Fu'min had some fans up North, too.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Found this on a Dan Jenkins Amazon page:

"Dan Jenkins is a comic genius." —Don Imus

Not sure what it means, nor do I have time to figure it out.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I loved Life Its Ownself. Read that many times....

Draft saved Draft deleted