1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furman Bisher has died at 93

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jemaz, Mar 18, 2012.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This sentence just absolutely shredded me:

"I saw him take his first breath in life and I saw him take his last."

Nobody should ever have to write that.

Moddy, I did a little Googling and it seems that liver disease claimed Roger Bisher, who by all accounts was a hell of a smart man, and who was my age (44) when he died.

RIP to one of the greats.

2. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

The first names I knew in sports were Hank Aaron, Vince Dooley and Furman Bisher.

End of a great era.

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

A man who interviewed Ty Cobb and Joe Jackson, then was around for the careers of new-generation players like Brian McCann and Jason Heyward. From Bobby Jones to Rory McIlroy.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I thought this was one positive when my mom died last May -- she never had to bury a child or grandchild.

5. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

On a lighter (but quite respectful) note, here's the cartoon on Bisher's passing from the AJC's Mike Luckovich:
    http://blogs.ajc.com/mike-luckovich/2012/03/19/320-mike-luckovich-cartoon-furman-bisher/

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I respectfully submit what Ed Hinton wrote about Bisher yesterday. They were friends. This does have a bit of a NASCAR angle in it, but then, that's our job.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/7709954/nascar-furman-bisher-was-league-own

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure Hinton would rather not have had to write at least three obituary columns in the past year or so, but he shows wonderful grace and poise in doing so.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Excellent find.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Though, admittedly, a rather easy find for kleeda.

10. Joe Lapointe

Joe Lapointe Member

Funny how a thread about Mr. Bisher turned (in at least two posts) to one about Lewis Grizzard.
    Those of us who knew Lewis better than Furman could tell a great many more anecdotes about Lewis as well. Those two were of two different generations but both icons in their own way.

11. I had to laugh at the Journal mock-up in the frame behind FB in the photo with the headline reading, "This Ain't No Goddam Magazine, It's a Newspaper."

Judas Priest, that's vintage Furman Bisher. :D

The Masters won't be the same without him, and I've got to believe there will be more than a few glasses raised in his memory when the bar opens Sunday night.

12. Read this about Bisher:
    What happened to his wife?

Draft saved Draft deleted