1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furman Bisher has died at 93

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jemaz, Mar 18, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It does. Great column.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I grew up reading those great AJCs of Bisher, Kindred, Mortensen, etc. Sad day. RIP.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Bill Center told me about that one when I worked with him at the UT. He said Bisher got into it with Lenny Ignelzi (now of AP) during a press conference in the days before Super Bowl XXII.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The son column left me in tears then and again just now - was it ever made public how the son died? Just a general curiousness is why I ask. Hell of a column. Not sure I could do that. I need to not outlive my dog and my kids, not sure I'm strong enough to deal with the death of any of them.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Then you mean you need to die before your dog and your kids.

6. That was great. Great.

And Schultz is no spring chicken.

7. Moderator1

Yes, thanks. I was a little choked up as I wrote that. I need to die before they do is what I'm saying.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Let's hope all those events are far into the future.

9. Moderator1

I agree - long as I go first, you know? Not sure I could handle burying a kid. And there's a link on the AJC to some of the obit-columns he did, including one about a family dog. I've done that enough and when this one goes, it may finish me. Not sure I'll be able to handle it again. I admire FB for many reasons but his ability to craft that column is high on the list.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Those were great, great days. Those newspapers were so woefully underpriced for what was provided, regularly and with outstanding flair, impact and passion.

11. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The fact the Mr. Bisher outlived Lewis Grizzard by nearly two decades still boggles my mind. Used to buy the Sunday AJC regularly to read Furman and staff, especially during football seasons.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Very worthy of a 10K, Steak.

Draft saved Draft deleted