1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furman Bisher has died at 93

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jemaz, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Agree. Very sad. RIP

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

When I think of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, I think of Furman Bisher and Lewis Grizzard. I'm not alone in that feeling. Grizzard had died and Bisher was well past his prime years when I got into this field, but I made a point to read their work. I remember taking Bisher's best-of book out of my university library, and I own one Grizzard collection.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP to a giant in our field.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

RIP to a good man.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

From the days of my youth when I couldn't wait for my Sporting News to arrive, a true icon.

Thanks for link on his son's obit.

RIP, Mr. Bisher.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was honored to have met him and had a few conversations with him...

One of the greats... RIP...

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Saw his Tar Heels make one more Sweet 16. Damn shame he didn't get one more Masters. His writing speaks for itself. For those who never got a chance to meet him, a gentleman of the highest order, but also one hell of a funny guy when he got rolling. He was legendary at the Golf Writers Association meeting during the week of the Masters when he would be the one to announce the slate of candidates for the GWAA board. Naturally, each one was accompanied by a one-liner.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't forget Furman was also a tough old cuss who didn't take crap from anyone. Remember when he got in a fistfight with a photographer who set up in front of him at a press conference? I want to say Furman was in his 70s at the time.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Never met him, but always respected him. Rest in Peace, Mr. Bisher.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a legend in the profession. And here's a link to what may have been his best story.
    http://www.blackbetsy.com/theTruth3.html

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Great lede on Jeff Schultz's column:

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/03/19/furman-bisher-we-lost-a-legend-i-lost-a-friend/

(Was gonna save my 10,000th post for something special. I guess this will do ... )

Draft saved Draft deleted