1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furloughs beginning at CNHI...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tmayforth, Mar 11, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Seattle goes for like a week at a time.

2. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

I think I can top this, believe it or not.
    On Dec. 1, we were given a 6-percent pay cut.
    On Jan. 13, an additional 4-percent pay cut.
    Jan. 29, layoff 40 percent of newsroom staff across three papers.
    March 4, One-week furloughs for everyone, EVERY MONTH. But, the company will make up the difference between unemployment and 80 percent of your pay for the week you are furloughed, so it is really a 5-percent pay cut.
    Part of me believes it's an evil plot to see if we can get by with even fewer people.

3. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I think it's an evil plot to put as much money toward debt before even more newspapers start closing in the next year.

Anyone left in this business is like cattle. At some point, we're all going to get slaughtered if we hang around too long.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Made the mistake last night of asking this question: If/when things do turn around, will we be be reimbursed for the $$$ each of us will be losing?

The look on the face of my boss was as if he had a school or piranha floating around in his boxers.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can they legally do that?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sounds like a legitimate question. The company is asking you to sacrifice. If they recover, why shouldn't you get paid the wage that you agreed to in the first place?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jeebus. Is this at a CNHI paper?

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Baron, I thought so, but the powers that be? Not so much, me thinks.

9. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

Actually, no. Privately held.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That sucks. Good luck.

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Enjoy your furlough days, because you will be working your ass off the rest of the time to cover everyone who is off when you get back!

12. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

The mammys and daddys in Alabammy will reimburse themselves. As for the grunt class, hey, Alabama isn't too far removed from the days of slavery to give a crap about them.

Draft saved Draft deleted