1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny phone call of today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Me: Craptown sports

Older-sounding male caller: Yeah, I'm looking for Melanie Jones.

Me: I'm not aware of anybody here by that name, sir.

Caller: What do you mean? Her name is listed right here as the contact.

Me: There's nobody named Melanie here sir.

Caller: You said 'sports', right?

Me: Yes sir, but there's nobody here named Melanie.

Caller: Well this thing says to contact Melanie at the Sporting News, and you said sports and you're the Craptown newspaper, aren't you? So that makes you the Craptown sporting news, doesn't it?

Me: Sir, this is the Craptown Express. The Sporting News is an entirely separate publication.

Caller: But it's sports, isn't it?

Me: Yes, sir, you've reached the sports department at the Craptown Express. You're looking for the Sporting News.

Caller: Isn't that who I've got?

Me: The Sporting News and the Craptown Express are two separate publications. Two completely different businesses. The Sporting News is published in an entirely different state.

Caller: Well, can you transfer me there then?

Me: Sir, the Sporting News is a completely separate publication from the Craptown Express. I can't just transfer you.

Caller: Fine. Can you give me their phone number then? I'll call them myself.

Me: By chance is there a phone number listed for Melanie on the document you're looking at?

Caller: Yeah.

Me: What happened when you called that number?

Caller: Mumbling from a distance and then he hangs up.

I admit that probably could have been handled better, but once I realized he'd confused The Sporting News with the sports department at the local newspaper, it was all I could do not to just laugh the man right off the phone.

2. jps

jps Active Member

mikey got into this business for phone calls like that.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sure did, jps. That's like the cigar after a good dinner.

4. jps

jps Active Member

lovin it, mike. damn it all, I might just have to get a beer and watch full house with you some time. and you're the only person I'd ever even think about offering up that combination to.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

There's an Abbott and Costello routine hiding somewhere in that conversation.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got all nine seasons. Remember that.

7. jps

jps Active Member

you scare me. god love ya, you freak me right the hell out sometimes, my friend.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mission accomplished.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Who's on first?

10. jps

jps Active Member

uncle jessie.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Once you know it's hopeless, you say, "I'll transfer you," push a couple of buttons and hang up.

Draft saved Draft deleted