1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny People

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Well, it was "Cats" so that's mockable, but I thought it worked because he realized he didn't want the kids and the mature relationship. He wanted it to be like it was before.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I thought Sandler was mocking himself in a way, too, for the likes of "Little Nicky," "Big Daddy," and "Mr. Deeds."

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i think some people might take the term "funny" at face value. i think the word is layered deeply in this movie.

in the aforementioned posts, i look at it this way: he acts disinterested in the kid's rendition of "memories" because he's not going to die and reverts to the immature cocksucker that drove the ex away.

and that makes you think, "well, *that's* funny because when he was dying, he probably would've choked up and cried like rogen did because it would've meant something entirely diffferent.

"funny" has many layers in this flick, not just funny haha.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

and the final scene is interesting because you think, "well isn't that funny how sandler befriends rogen after the meltdown that ended the friendship" ...

i think sandler has a relapse and only befriends rogen because he knows rogen is such a sweet guy and won't turn his back on him. sandler never answers definitively when rogen asks if he's ok. the look on his face kind of makes you think he's sick again, and so how funny that he'd start acting like a friend again when he's proven how selfish he'd been. yet it's funny because he finally starts helping rogen with his act.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I agree - I think he's sick again, too. Toward the end, when he's walking out of the building where the doctor's office was and the camera crew was all in his face, it seemed like something more was going on than him having agreed to appear in another shitty movie.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Possibly ... though of the above, only Little Nicky really fits in with the whole "man as something else" motif ...

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That's kind of the point. Had there been something funny about the kid's performance, and Sandler laughed ... that's the natural reaction. The fact that he mocked something that was obviously heartfelt wasn't random at all ... it was part and parcel to him reverting to his old jackassery.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Saw this last night, and at about the two-hour mark, where it was just meandering around through the George-Laura scenes aimlessly (didn't I watch Seth Rogen playing with kids in Knocked Up?), my date turned to me and asked me, "doesn't this seem like a really long movie?" To which I agreed. There were some fairly funny parts. Liked the use of subtle humor more than the slam it over the head dick jokes. It was almost like it was two different movies at once, which is what I suppose Apatow wanted, but the whole thing just felt -- I don't know, clumsy?

Look, I like Schwartzman, but he's out of place in a non-Wes Anderson movie, or a I Heart Huckabees type of role. He's just not funny at all, which is sort of the point, I guess, seeing as they spend the whole movie mocking the Yo Teach thing. This is sort of like a good 35-inch feature that would read much better and more concise if it was 30 inches with sharp transitions. Cut 25-30 minutes of dead space from this flick, and I would have liked it much more.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My wife hated this movie, especially its length. It meandered but I thoroughly enjoyed its quirkiness as kind of a celebration of imperfection. It's the kind of movie I enjoy. For some reason it makes me want to rent King of Comedy with DeNiro and Jerry Lewis.

Draft saved Draft deleted