1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny call I made today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A store owner called and said that some info in an article I wrote about the digital TV switch was wrong. I gave the guy a call back since he pointed out a great article in a community rag showing his info was correct. Too bad the article in the rag was written by the guy's daughter.

I called the owner myself and said his accusations concerning my "superficial journalism" were a false one since I had several people telling me their issues regarding picking up digital TV signals. And the fact that the conflict of interest wasn't noted in the rag's article was obviously poor journalism as well.

If people can call us out all the time, a private phone call to readers who e-mail us is a good thing to help readers know that we will defend ourselves if people call our journalism into question.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You should have asked if you could meet with the daughter and go over reporting tips and so forth.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The same reporter wrote an article about a new business in the area. The new business is owner by the reporter's sister.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yup, it's always a good thing to treat readers like the enemy.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When the guy has an obvious agenda of promoting his business and the paper that his daughter works at, a call wasn't out of line.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, it is out of line.
    You know his agenda, you ignore him.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Now, that's funny!

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Um, what does his daughter look like? ::)

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And then he calls your publisher, and the publisher doesn't bother finding out what you already know and just comes and reams you.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If that's the case: Leave. Work at Mickey D's instead.

Ain't been in the business long, but I've never met a publisher who I wouldn't trust to get the reporter's side of the story when dealing with reader complaints.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Your smile would be turned into a frown if you saw her. And if my publisher said anything, he'd tell the owner he's full of crap.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If a reader calls and leaves a message, it is never out of line to call them back. In fact, I consider it part of the job.

It is never out of line to explain your side. It is never a bad idea to defend yourself if someone accuses you falsely of something.

If the original poster handled himself unprofessionally, that would be one thing. Without official transcripts of the call, I guess we'll never know.

But in general ... there is nothing wrong with calling back an upset reader, explaining your side of the story, and defending your choices if need be.

Draft saved Draft deleted