1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Fun" movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm watching Kelly's Heroes right now.

The movie makes absolutely no sense. You've got a hippie WWII tank commander (expertly played by Donald Sutherland), you've got an off-the-rails general (hilariously played by Carroll O'Conner), you've got a plot where they manage to haul away half of Fort Knox in gold in one truck and a tank. The Mike Curb Congregation sings the title song. A very young Bosephus is on the soundtrack too. Etc., etc.

Yet, it's extremely enjoyable. It has a great "voice" to it. Wise-ass, doesn't take itself too seriously. That's a harder balance to strike than one might think.

It's a fun movie.

There are many others. I watched Topkapi with my kids tonight. Excellent heist movie. Essentially director Jules Dassin did a send-up of his own Rififi, but did it so expertly that the movie works on its own merits. Merlina Mercouri turned in one of the most charming turns as far as playing a slut in movie history. And I could totally see Seth Rogen play Peter Ustinov's Oscar-winning role in that movie right down to the suit. I am now convinced his suit in Pineapple Express is a tribute to Topkapi. And Soderbergh should be paying royalties to Topkapi for the entire Oceans series.

The Rock, which is ridiculous as hell in its Bruckenheimer/Michael Bay way, is fun to watch. Dumb as hell, but it's entertainingly dumb.

With the possible exception of Topkapi, none of these movies are considered "great", yet, I'd watch them almost every time they're on TV.

What say you? What are some "fun" movies?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I could watch Smokey and the Bandit over and over again.

Labrynth is another one, Jim Henson on acid.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Any of the Die Hards, but I think Die Hard 2: Die Harder would best fit your criteria.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Diggstown

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Ooooh. Good one.

Is Road House too obvious?

6. Bubbler

Road House is definitely fun, but it's a different kind of fun. Sort of a so bad, it's good fun.

I ought to have my head examined. How in the hell could I miss the mother lode of fun movies?

[​IMG]

I will taste the black sperm of my own vengeance?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Another fun movie, if you're into this sort of thing: Tasting Black Sperm 28.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'll take Caddyshack.

Oh........and isn't Mary Louise-Parker in "Tasting of Black Sperm 28"?

9. Bubbler

The entire James Bond series qualifies.

10. Bubbler

I don't know if comedies count. They're fun by design.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Hot Tub Time Machine & Point Break.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If Liesl hadn't died earlier tonight, you'd look like this:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted