1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Full-timer diddling 20-y.o. part-timer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trunkmonkey, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Have a conversation with your HR director.

No need to name names, but ask some questions about "hypothetically, if two employees on your staff were involved in a relationship, what are, as their boss, your responsibilities?"

First rule as boss: Cover Your Ass.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Back in the Herald day, or so the story goes as I did not see this event personally, the wife of one Herald reporter came in and cold-cocked the female reporter with whom hubby had been caught en flagrante. On the building roof-by passing motorists on the Southeast Expressway.
    Nobody got fired, disciplined, or anything but humiliated. Management's response was to lock the door to the roof. Still locked, for all I know.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fact!

Second rule (in this situation): Cover the paper's ass.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Was that wrong? Cause I gotta plead ignorance here....

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

She and I are just good friends.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

First rule as boss should be to have your employees' backs. That'll get you in trouble sometimes, and it's not always appreciated, but I'd rather have supervisor who I know would go to bat for me than was thinking of themselves first and foremost in every situation.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's got to be a way you can tap the guy's wife.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This is an exception to that rule of having your employees' back.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dear Penthouse Forum: I was the sports editor of a major metropolitan daily in the midwest...

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The fact we were three pages in before somebody said it is extremely disappointing. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

We're all too busy rocking out to Andy Taylor. [/crossthreading]

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In this instance, I agree that his hands are tied and he should stay out of it if he doesn't know for certain. But that has nothing to do with my belief that covering one's ass should not be a boss' top priority in regards to his/her supervision of employees.

Draft saved Draft deleted