1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Full-timer diddling 20-y.o. part-timer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trunkmonkey, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

OK, any opinions here? One of my full-time sports reporters (he's about 35, married, couple of kids) is -- and I'm 95 percent sure of this -- fooling around with my 20-year-old female part-timer. Besides being an incredible asshole for doing this, I can't exactly write him up because both are professional at work and she's of legal age. My boss says "keep an eye on it," but that's just management shit for "I don't have a clue what to do."

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are there rules against fraternization in the company handbook? If not, it's none of your business as long it doesn't carry over to the office.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Does your company have any sort of policy about this sort of thing and does he supervise her in any way?
    If the answer to both questions is no and they're able to behave professionally at work and do the quality and volume of work expected of them, I'm not sure it's yours or your boss' place to do anything.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Along with what Inky said, make sure that you take care of anything unprofessional at the office right away.

This has the makings of a harassment suit when it's all said and done.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I hope his wife doesn't come storming through the office like Jami Gertz in Entourage last week.

Honestly, I'd ask the guy what the fuck he's doing.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd be VERY careful of wading into this if I were you.

Read the manual. Then read it again. Make sure you're absolutely familiar with all the regulations. Make sure you don't overreact to anything.

If either he or she do something they shouldn't do and you're in a position of authority, take action CAREFULLY. You could not only witness harassment material from either him to her or her to him, but you could also put YOURSELF in position to be sued if something goes wrong.

If you feel you MUST address the situation, I'd recommend a *general* comment about being mindful of professional conduct to the entire staff. Don't single either of them out or stare at them when you're talking to the staff.

If they're being professional toward each other during working hours and they're not canoodling under a desk, there's not a lot you can do. If they're getting busy in the men's or women's room, that's different.

BUT NO MATTER WHAT, BE CAREFUL.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You certainly have the right to express your concerns, not only as his boss, but also from a personal standpoint. You need to tread lightly, but you don't have to ignore it.

8. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Guess I gotta be the first to ask ... Is she hot?

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Pics or get the fuck out.

But really, tread lightly as others have advised.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This.

Make him aware that you and others are noticing the behavior. I doubt this will keep them from each other, but perhaps it will make the work atmosphere better for a time.

But as a boss you also have to look out for the office situation. If this relationship implodes spectacularly, those two people will probably be worthless to you as workers. Then what?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He knows who he's doing. But he barely knows what he's doing, and he certainly isn't thinking.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You can't quit being the boss to discuss it as a friend.

This is one of those times where being the boss trumps friendships.

Draft saved Draft deleted