1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FS1's Katie Nolan with TKO of Rick Reilly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Trying to get somebody fired at your old paper isn't mean-spirited, for rightly saying you SUCKED in your Monday Night Football debut?

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He did suck, and he didn't take the criticism well. Can't say I blame him for being thin-skinned after starting a high-profile job like that and failing so spectacularly. But my take on that situation was that it was more of a personal beef with a (former) co-worker. Don't know if that was really the case or now. It didn't bother me one way or the other.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

OK, he's kind of a dick.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/press_box/2010/02/sympathy_for_tony_kornheiser.html

But a lot of the comments cited strike me as Kornheiser's brand of humor. Not to say he wasn't bothered by the stuff that was written (and his comments are pretty petty), but I still think there were personal feuds involved. (My previous post was referring to his dustup with the Post Style writer, which didn't strike me as a big deal).

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You're the one making the claims. It would be nice if you linked one article. The onus is on you bud.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You're right,, Reilly would never argue with on-air talent about getting credit for a newsbreak. At least not behind the scenes. He'd make sure to actually do it on the air.

http://deadspin.com/5960039/rick-reilly-tells-stu-scott-to-credit-him-for-breaking-roethlisberger-shoulder-injury-news-as-espn-inadvertently-airs-its-own-sausage-production

6. 3_Octave_Fart

I'm operating from an assumption- maybe a false one- that we all follow industry news.
    Just in the last few years he has had well-publicized disputes with Hannah Storm (over her SC attire) and Jim Irsay.
    He's a twat who has made a career bashing others and not being able to take even one-tenth its measure in return.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Won't disagree with the last part, but I won't resort to name-calling. He definitely has thin skin, but I know more than a few writers who are pretty insecure. When he took on the MNF gig, he was set up for getting shredded in the reviews, and he didn't take it well at all. The Storm thing was 4 years ago, and like most of his stupid quotes it was just a matter of him trying to be funny and looking like an ass. I just chalk it up to having to fill a lot of air time, and you're going to say something really dumb now and then. As for calling Irsay a bozo, I am going to have to agree on that one.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

I agree Irsay is that and worse.
    And Korn was right - Irsay is and always was in "The Son Business."
    But if you're going to make this kind of stuff your finishing move you have to pick better targets.
    A woman- somebody else's wife (and she looked good, anyway)- and a horse's ass of an owner => fish in a barrel.

Draft saved Draft deleted