1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From the this is just wrong department

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Aug 26, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

Judge Detains 5 Over Ringing Cell Phone
    CROWN POINT, Ind. — A judge detained and questioned a row of spectators when a cell phone rang for a third time in her courtroom, later ordering two people to serve community service for contempt of court.

When no one admitted having the ringing phones Wednesday, Lake County Criminal Court Judge Diane Boswell told all five people in the row to sit in chairs reserved for jail inmates. They stayed there for more than an hour until the morning court call ended.

Boswell found three people in contempt of court because they initially refused to say who had the ringing phones.

Cynthia Cannon of Gary agreed to pay a $100 fine after admitting that her phone was one of those that went off. The judge ordered her to do community service, but Cannon declined, saying she can't work or sit for long periods of time due to a disability.

Verdell Berry Jr., of Merrillville, said he had two phones. One was off, the other he turned off when Boswell warned the gallery about the phones. The sound of it powering down is what she heard, Berry said.

He admitted he didn't speak up to explain that when Boswell first asked.

Shonique Freeman, of Gary, said she knew it was Berry's phone, but she didn't offer the information, either.

Boswell ordered both Berry and Freeman to serve 40 hours of community service.

"The next time you come to court, don't bring your cell phone," Boswell said. "And when the court asks a question, answer the question."

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was in traffic court a couple times, and the judge said that if a cellphone goes off, it gets confiscated. Seems like the judge in this case made things too complex

3. pallister

pallister Guest

What's wrong are morons who leave their cell phones on at inappropriate times. Are you that important you have to have your cell on at all times?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And when they start fining people who talk on their cellphones while driving, the world will be a better place.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A few months ago there were signs all over my gym saying that if anyone used a cell phone on the floor they'd lose their membership.
    Then somebody probably realized that if that rule was enforced the gym wouldn't have any members.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Why take your phone to the gym?

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I say that those with the cellphones in court got off light. There are times to have the cellphone on and times to have it off and having it on in a courtroom is one of those times when it needs to be off. Last month I was in court for a traffic ticket, before I went in, the police searched me and warned me to have the cellphone off. While I was in there, a cellphone went off. The attorney whose phone it was quickly walked out of the courtroom before answering it.

Regarding cellphones at the gym -- there are idiots who bring the phone into the gym with them because they can't resist talking on the phone between sets, stopping a set if it rings, or even worse talking on the phone while on the treadmill, eliptical or another piece of cardio equipment.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I hate the social exercisers.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The gym I used to go to had the exercise bikes on the second floor, in a balcony overlooking the weight machines. This guy gets on the machine next to me, puts his mobile on the bike control panel and it slides right off and down to the first floor. Nice crack heard upon landing.

I always thought the gym was one place I wouldn't want the phone. I guess I'm not hip enough, or something.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Most of the gymgoers who talk on cell phones look like they're in better shape than I am, so I guess I'm in no position to say they shouldn't use them while working out.
    I also wonder if there are some gyms that advertise themselves as "cell phone-friendly"

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We're in a theater a while back and my phone goes off.
    I turned it off before we went in. Problem was it was ALREADY OFF and I actually turned the fucking thing ON.

It's ringing and I'm thinking "what kind of loser ***" and then I realize it is MY phone.

My asshole moment of that particular day.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Remember the furor former Packer coach Mike Sherman caused by walking out of a press conference last year when someone's phone went off?

It was like the fourth time in a month that happened, and when no one stepped forward to admit responsibility the PR department cancelled Brett Favre's weekly presser as punishment.

Shit, I'd say that's more like a reward.

Draft saved Draft deleted