1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From the Tark's blog; Don't try recruiting against UK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 16, 2008.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

If this is true about Kentucky, then the NCAA is probably getting ready to put Eastern Kentucky on probation.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tark (or his ghostwriter) is a pretty damn good blogger, I gotta say.

Really good idea.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Yeah, Tark never struck me as a computer person. Then again, dude could always talk.

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Tark blogging about another school's recruiting shenanigans? Priceless. Don't doubt for a second that it's not true. It's just that there are a billion recruiting stories out there, and the Shark is the central character in a lot of them.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Didn't one of UK's most recent players (Rondo, maybe??) start driving a nicer car once he started at the school?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They all do, KY. They all do.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yeah, I know. The original quote was UCLA/Cal State Northridge. It has evolved from there.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The apartment that Jason Kidd and Lamont Murray shared at Cal cost $1,700 a month in 1993. All of the other students in that same building had 4-5 people per apartment.

At the time, Kidd was driving a loaner Mercedes and Murray was driving a $30,000 SUV.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Some kids really have to slum it.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

See, sports parents are right. Coaches do recruit from newspaper articles.

12. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Don't doubt it for a second. Leonard Hamilton was dirty while he was at UK, and he's used his abilities in that area to bite UK in the ass several times.

Darius Rice and Jason Rich were both coming to UK until Hamilton stepped in, recruiting them to Miami and Florida State, respectively. What goes around comes around. But those late-70s, early-80s UK teams were dirty as hell. And the Eddie Sutton years were likely just as dirty.

I think Pitino probably cleaned it up at least to the point where it wasn't blatant, out-in-the-open cheating, but I think everyone skirts the rules and the ethics along the way.

The biggest surprise cheating-wise in UK history was landing Tim Couch (and I'm quite sure he was well compensated for that decision). You know UK had to be doling out big bucks to beat out Tennessee.

Draft saved Draft deleted