1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Politico Reporter to Retail Worker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A lot of people lose great careers through no fault of their own.

I find it very difficult to feel sorry for someone who has no one to blame but himself.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sheesh, you smack your bitch one time and it's like everyone thinks you're a bad person.

Fucking world, man.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You beat your wife, you pay the price.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Long ago, I worked in both retail and restaurants. Unless things have really changed, he should've chosen the food industry. Same not-so-great conditions but I think it's a law that you sleep with at least two other members of staff if you stay at one place a few months. It's better than on-line dating and even at fifty, father figures are sexy....

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ex-wife. Ex!

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's not really owning his problems, is he?

Makes me wonder about the non-profit that did hire him.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I lost it all in the snap of a finger yet acknowledged from Day 1 that the end of my career is my fault.

I've been in the art gallery since then, coming up on 2 years. Took me a good long time to finally get over feeling sorry for myself. I had a great newspaper run for 23 years. I do miss it some days, but I'm better off because I'm experiencing many things that I ignored for 23 years. And, I still tap into the creative process and write stories pretty much every day. Sometimes I even scoop the newspaper across the street.

8. +1

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, no shit...

I know plenty of former journalists who didn't beat their wives who have had to take retail or customer service jobs or fast-food type (waiting tables, Chipotle...).

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I worked retail in college.

I was asked to work off the clock, to the point that employees were told that volunteering time showed our loyalty to the company (a national chain that sells video games)

We had to empty our backpacks (if applicable) and lift our pant legs but were never patted down. In fairness, a previous employee had stolen $5000 worth of inventory

Furthermore, we were required to not let management leave without being checked, to the point that I got reprimanded for not checking the District Manner and praised when I did. About two weeks before I was fired, after volunteering two hours to help process inventory, no less, the general manager refused to let me check his briefcase.

At that, and other retail/restaurant jobs, I've had to stay several hours (once up to five, when we were preparing for the CEO's visit) after our shift to clean and/or generally prepare the store for the next day but never - with the exception of the above example - was I asked to work off the clock. To take it a step further, I once worked at O'Charlies, and an assistant manager was FIRED for criticizing me for clocking in to take ice to the bar after I had finished my shift and was preparing to leave. (had I slipped but not been logged in, insurance company would have lost its shit)

I would never go into retail again unless it was part-time to supplement income or if I owned the business but Mr. Williams here seems like he thinks he's too better than everyone else doing it.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Should have told whatever jackass who said working off the clock shows company loyalty that, unless they were willing to guarantee a job for life, the next call would be to the Dept. of Labor.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm guessing O'Charlie's corporate wouldn't exactly have appreciated that manager getting fired.

A lot of times, these jackasses at franchises try to get away with their own shit, presuming people will just drop it. Usually, they're right.

Draft saved Draft deleted