1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 26, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Larry Lage?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good for him. Their preps coverage would suffer big time if that was the case. Plus, that paper blows out the football and basketball finals in terms of coverage (even if no area teams are involved, which rarely happens).

It'll be sad to see Vartan, Fred and Mike go, however.

3. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

May depend on where you are, etc. We made a bigger investment in hockey this season, but the Caps were a playoff team and have the best player in the league. We didn't go to the British Open and didn't send a columnist to US Open (and won't to the PGA), but Tiger not playing certainly plays in to that decision.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Lage is the sports guy for AP.

I doubt they'll be making new hires after a round of buyouts.

5. TwoGloves

That was sort of my point. Just like Doug Ferguson is becoming everybody's golf writer ...

6. Hank_Scorpio

I get what your saying. But I'm thinking the Lions (or any of the four major sports teams) would be too big of a beat to just take what AP gives you. Especially since it is still a two-newspaper town.

Golf is easier to cut since 95 percent of the events would be out of town and not as attached to the local readers as a local team.

But I could see the day coming where that does happen with a major beat.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Would Niyo even want to move over from the Wings? I mean, why move from an organization as respected as the Wings for a bumbling, doddering old fool like the Lions. (although Nick Cotsonika did move from the Wings to the Lions a few years ago at the Freep).

Maybe Niyo can just take over for the injured Tiger Woods (those who know Niyo will get this).

8. TwoGloves

It was a joke. Of course the daily Detroit papers will have somebody on the beat fulltime. But I can see the day coming soon when they don't travel with the team and let AP pick up the coverage. Super Bowl too.

9. TwoGloves

Maybe he'll get asked to sign some Tiger Woods autographs again at the PGA Championship.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Covering the Lions instead of the Wings would have its upside. Only 20 games including preseason, and only 10 times to travel; no playoffs involved whatsoever. Besides, who wants to take 20 trips a year to Columbus, Nashville to cover hockey, or all those crazy West Coast swings because Detroit is not in the East; when you could just rag on Matt Millen?

11. TwoGloves

Don't forget the OT pay for Thanksgiving. I loves me some OT!

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Forget OT pay, give me some Turducken.

Draft saved Draft deleted