1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Brooklyn, the $5.00 pizza slice......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 31, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I love me some Sbarro's.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There are actually some good Pizza Huts in Kansas, at least they were a decade or so ago before I moved away. Tiny towns such as Osborne, Lincoln, Plainville have some of the original shops from before it became a huge global chain. I'd wager many of them are run by the same families that ran them 30 years ago and they haven't changed much.

It was always amazing to me how much better the pizza was in Osborne, Kan., than in some bigger town that had a brand new Pizza Hut. And the Pizza Hut's here on the east coast don't even begin to compare.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I can't stand Pizza Hut pizza in general. But there was one down the street from my flat in London. And while it wasn't amazing, it was all right and worked when I was craving pizza.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I actually ate at one in Valencia, Spain, and found it to do the job quite nicely.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Puff, puff, pass, dude.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You wouldn't pay five bucks for a decent entree?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It don't have bourbon in it or nothin'?

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

This. Couple of your friends + Night of beer pong + XXL order of Pokey Stix = Perfection.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Niiiice.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i just read the first post and had to chime in before reading on:

i was lucky enough to grow up within a few blocks of difara's. it is ABSOLUTELY the best pizza i've ever had -- by far. in recent years i've even had my dad -- still in brooklyn -- bring a sicilian pie from difara's out with him and my mom when they visit us in the 'burbs.

both the round and sicilian are extraordinary, with all the ingredients so described in the piece. and dominick makes each pizza by himself, which creates loooong waits.

but my dad called me earlier to make sure i'd seen the piece. then he informed us no more pies for the shockeys -- the wait is too long and price too high.

despite the daughter's denial in the article, the leap up to 5 bucks a slice is indeed due to dom now opening the store five days. his rent is enormous so to stay in biz 5 days a week he had to boost the price to a mind-boggling amount.

folks still come from near and far. the wait is still interminable line is waiting as he opens up at 11 a.m. and goes out the door all day.

two ways to look at it in this economy: it's too much money for pizza, but it's such a fulfilling meal that you can feed a fam of four for 30 bucks, markedly less than taking the fam to a restaurant for dinner.

i get that it nonetheless sounds crazy for those outside of nyc, but take my word for it: if you can be satisfied by pizza, you'd love this place. it's PIZZA. trust me.

heck, how serious am i? no smiley faces from me on this one. i'm serious about my pizza. i've taken many friends into brooklyn to see what i'm always raving about and they, too, now understand..

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll try DiFara's next time. But I like Grimaldi's a LOT. Took my mom there on her first trip to NYC in the spring. She loved it too.

Does DiFara's do the same kind of pizza? With the fresh mozzarella in gobs instead of shredded?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Shockey, Just so I don't have nightmares tonight. ... you're not Webster's mother, are you?

IJAG, different kinds of places. Grimaldi's is sitdown, order by the pie. DiFara's is stand at the counter, order a slice.

The pizzas are also different styles, even though they are both thin crust, but the crusts are different.

Grimaldi's, as you know, is thin crust, perfect sauce, the fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil. .... and that coal oven that burns hotter than Mars, so they just have to kiss the pizza and it does something special. It is a really simple pizza -- a pool or two of fresh mozzarella, a tangy sauce with just the right acidity, a basil leaf or two and a light crust, but one that is doughy. It's airy.

Di Fara's is a wafer-thin crust, too, but it is crispy. A lot of choices of toppings and one guy making every pie with ingredients he hand chose -- a few different types of cheese (sprinkles on a sharp romano at the end), one mozzarella imported from Italy. When you ask for a topping, they prepare it right then for your specific pie. For example, if you want broccoli rabe, they saute it right for your pie and then make the pie. He is meticulous about his pizza. Di Fara's isn't as light a pizza as Grimaldi's and has a greasier feel. It's a matter of taste, I'd guess.

In terms of neighborhoods, really different, too. Di Fara's is in Midwood, which is a family area, and has a lot of Jews -- Di Fara's itself is surrounded by Orthodox Jewish places. It's into Brooklyn (I have never taken subway there, but I think you'd have to hop the Q train, which I have ridden once in my life), whereas Grimaldi's is in DUMBO, right by the Fulton Ferry landing and underneath the Brooklyn Bridge. More trendy/touristy, a nice view nearby. You can walk across the bridge from City Hall and you are there, or you can hop the A train and it is one stop past Broadway/Nassau.

Draft saved Draft deleted