1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From blogger to bigger gig

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thunder8671, May 2, 2014.

1. Thunder8671

Thunder8671 New Member

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas how to move from a blog to a newspaper new media job? Thanks.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Probably the same advice for anybody: have some good clips and apply for everything. Send your material cold to places you think would be interested.

3. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I'd definitely advise you to apply for jobs at smaller papers. The bigger papers will at least want somebody with a journalism degree who has done more than just blogging.

Also, make sure you submit more than just personal opinion pieces. I've seen plenty of bloggers who applied for jobs and all they submitted was opinion. A blogger who can give in-depth analysis on a subject, or show a strong understanding of a particular sport, is going to draw more attention. I've even some bloggers who do interviews with people, and if you've done those, that works in your favor, too.

4. Thunder8671

Thunder8671 New Member

Thanks guys. I will try small newspapers. I do have interviews with a few people so I will definitely try that. Thanks.

5. Decadent

Decadent New Member

You should also try some commas.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

All depends what sort of blogger you are. If you're just running you're own wordpress site, that's one thing. If you're at a good SBNation blog, completely different.

Draft saved Draft deleted