1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

from a notre dame fanboy site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by noodles, Oct 1, 2007.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

This is an incredible passage:

"True, Weis is not the most forthcoming guy in football – but it’s not his job to be that. A smart person would realize this and do the best they can with the dealt hand, not push an already-tough interview toward the point where they clam up for good."

Yeah, Weis isn't paid directly to answer the press' questions. But "most forthcoming" understates it so much it's unbelievable, for many college coaches who treat their programs like Fort Fucking Knox. But yeah, why push for more of the story? Why not just accept why they prepare in their bland PR speak statements? That they're going to look over tape, try to improve week-to-week, and get 'em again next Saturday.

I agree with Hein that it's well written, and the guy makes some points, but this is yet another case of painting with too broad a brush. Lumping anything into one category - be it coaches or writers, whatever - makes it that much easier for the relationship to be adversarial. Like right away, all sj's are incredible douchebags who just want to create headlines. Makes me sick.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Umm, the lede alone makes sure this guy is appropriately labeled a tool. Please, sports journalism has never been better, which isn't to deny it's also as bad as it's ever been. The screaming heads who turn every halfway controversial quote into a 24-hour news cycle are one issue as are fanboy clowns like this guy who can't seem to figure out that ass clowns like Charlie Weis are as full of shit as anybody else. There are the 5 percent on either side -- screaming heads and this clown, with knee pads -- and then there is the rest of us.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you said he's a "journalist" who's covering his favorite team. he's a fanboy who happens to write.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Notre Dame: The best 0-5 team in the nation.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Best part of that = Lou Holtz picking the Irish to win every week. Hilarious.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and that's what happens when fanboys get paid to be "journalists."

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Weis's job is to win. He's 0-5 (Zero and Five). :D :D

But of course, that's all that lazy negro's fault. ::) ::)

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, I'll just say that I'm almost certain that fanboy is a better writer than half of the people on this board, which no longer needs to include me in the discussions. See ya!

9. IU90

IU90 Member

Why exactly is he "clearly" not a journalist? Because he happens to write for a fanboy publication, or because he happens to be critical of sports journalism in this piece?

This piece does not say journalists should not be objective, should not ask tough questions, should not probe for the truth. Instead, it criticizes the increase in the shrill hysterical screaming head faction of the profession, the tendency of some to write gossipy pieces that aren't properly sourced or fact-based, and interviewers who ask "a fan told me" type questions that serve no purpose other than to antagonize.

There's no inherent conflict in having those views and being a journalist. And there's nothing wrong with a writer being critical of what's going on in his own profession when he believes its warranted.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Don't go away mad, just go away.

If you're paid by a team to write about it on its web site, you're a contracted writer. Journalists are paid to be objective. Writers for fan sites are no different than team broadcasters who are basically paid to be homers.

11. jboy

jboy Guest

Thanks for stopping by Ryan.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Was it our character assassination that did you in?

Kinda sad to see a journalist have some thin skin, especially with a lot of the crap you doled out to us on the Gundy thread.

Make sure the door closes behind you, eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted