1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Trivia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 18, 2009.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We are back. I'm out of here as of 2:50 EDT but we'll chck back in the morning and see how the night/early bird crew did on this assortment of questions.

1. Who holds the Pacific-10 Conference's single-game record for most receptions?
    ANSWER: Ron Fair, ASU, 19 catches for 277 yards against Wazzu in 1989.

2. What college was Stefen Djordjevic poised to attend at the conclusion of "All The Right Moves?"
    ANSWER: Cal Poly is correct, where he would play for coach Craig Nelson, who did so well he later got a I-A job at Minnesota State.

3. The cities of Husk, Blue Cut, Shoefly and Frank Pierce comprise 67 percent of what fictional sports organization?
    ANSWER: Those cities, and Iowa City and Big Inning, formed the "Iowa Baseball Confederacy."

4. In what season did Army last defeat Notre Dame in football?
    ANSWER: 1958 is correct, by a 14-2 score.

5. Who hit the first home run in New York Mets regular-season history?
    ANSWER: Gil Hodges, off Larry Jackson of the Cardinals in the fourth ining of opening day. CHarlie Neal hit one in the fifth.

BONUS QUESTION: In the movie "A Mighty Wind," what was the name of the hit song by Lars Olfen's (Ed Begley Jr.) Swedish garage band?
    ANSWER: "How's It Hanging, Grandma?"

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Cal Poly - SLO "they've got a great engineering school" - "you're just doing this to make yourself feel good" - "Yeah, Yes I Am." "Take it Stefan - I love you - Sign it."
    3. Basketball?

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I think Army's last win was in 1958.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The naches that I'm feeling right now... 'cause your dad was like mishpoche to me. When I heard I got these ticket to the Folksmen, I let out a geshreeyeh, and I'm running with my friend... running around like a vilde chaye, right into the theater, in the front row! So we've got the schpilkes, 'cause we're sittin' right there... and it's a mitzvah, what your dad did, and I want to try to give that back to you. Okeinhoreh, I say, and God bless him.

5. micropolitan guy

Updated with the first two correct answers.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

1. Keyshawn Johnson

7. micropolitan guy

Not Keyshawn.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Is #3 the Iowa Baseball Confedaracy? Just guessin' here.

9. micropolitan guy

Good guess.
    The other two teams were Big Inning and Iowa City. (They would have given the answer away).

I've read here from some that W.P. Kinsiella can be a horse's patoot but there3 is some absolutely outstanding writin gin the first 2/3 of that book .

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

1. Houshmanzadeh?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1. Troy Walters?

5. Gil Hodges?

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Shaun McDonald?

Draft saved Draft deleted