1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights, Season 2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When does Coach Taylor come back to HS?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Episode four seems about right.

3. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Finally got around to watching the episode. Didn't mind Landry going out for the football team. Didn't mind him hitting the dude with the metal pipe. Did mind him not calling 911 and dropping body in river. That's the point beyond where I'm willing to suspend shit.

And yeah, I think there's little doubt Taylor comes back. I could even see it happening by the third episode. Doesn't like where his daughter is heading. hates being away from wife and baby. doesn't like getting called to cover someone else's ass when his wife just gave birth. And then there's the new coach, who i can see having a lawsuit thrown at his ass for being stupid and old school and not knowing you can't run kids until they puke anymore. If this were set even a decade ago, I could believe that. Not now.

rant over.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The ratings are out: 6.4 million viewers for 67th in the ratings. It trails Moonlight in the timeslot (which didn't drop much from its premiere). Last year FNL premiered with 7.4 million viewers. I've got to think it could do better on Tuesdays than Biggest Loser and Singing Bee (which had 6.6 and 7.5 million viewers respectively).
    I don't think they'll do another coach gets sued storyline. If I were writing the show, I'd have something come up from his past in Tennessee or maybe ol' Buddy Garrity will just get his ass farre'd for pissing off the boosters.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

The first episode was not a bad one but it looks like we will have a lot more soap opera stuff happening this season and reading the info on Yahoo's FNL page it looks like Dillon will not go for a second championship.

I don't know but I will continue to watch the show on NBC.com and make up my mind then.

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

It totally slipped my mind that Taylor was sued in the first season. It's been too long. I should not have forgotten that. But they surely will get rid of the new coach at some point

7. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

I'm curious about all the complaining about "fifth-year seniors." We've got no real evidence that Tyra or Lyla are still in school. We knew Smash, Matt, Julie and Landry weren't seniors. School hasn't even started, and the fact that they're in Dillon doesn't mean they're still in school -- as you'll recall Tyra talked often about how no one ever leaves this place, etc.

Also, there's a pretty major spoiler -- although predictable -- about the future of Coach T in an interview on E! Online, if you want to go find it on the "Watch With Kristin" blog.

And now onto tonight's episode:

2.02 Bad Ideas

Synopsis: BACK TO SCHOOL-It is the first day of school at Dillon High and with new beginnings comes a lot of changes. Tami’s (Connie Britton) new life as a mother of a newborn and a teenager proves to be very tough, especially with the separation from Coach Taylor (Kyle Chandler) who continues his coaching job at TMU. Matt Saracen (Zach Gilford) is slowly watching his “perfect” life slip away, while best friend Landry (Jesse Plemons) tries to embrace his newer, better lifestyle despite a recent event that really changed his life. However, the new school year proves to not be bad for all as Brian “Smash” Williams (Gaius Charles) is constantly being praised by coaches, scouts, and fans. Minka Kelly, Scott Porter, Taylor Kitsch, Aimee Teegarden, and Adrianne Palicki also star.

8. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has Landry even made the team yet? They made a point of showing him getting his ass kicked in practice last week. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut.

9. WS

WS Member

When does Smash suffer a career-ending knee injury ala Boobie Miles?

10. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

I'm sort of wondering if Smash isn't this year's Street -- although not suffering quite as life-changing an injury.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I don't know man, but I'm doing good.

I hope something like that doesn't happen to Smash. Not because I care that much about his character, but because it would be too formulaic. They threw so much into that first season -- understandably because the writers didn't know if they'd get a second season -- that I'm afraid of where some of these characters' storylines are going. I wish they knew that they'd be getting two seasons so they could have drawn out some of the major storylines (assistant's racist comment, steroids, Street's paralysis to near-national team member status in quad-rugby, the lawsuit against he coach, etc.). That was a ton of stuff to jam into one season, and while they did a great job with it, I'm beginning to wish they could have carried more of that into this season.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Love me some Minka Kelly.

Draft saved Draft deleted