1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

friday night lights premiere

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Oct 3, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The football scenes were godawful. As a whole, overrated.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm with Dooley on this one. The big comeback was predictable. It's cliched. I've seen it 5,000 times. It would have been nice to see the team lose for once. The drama wasn't there for me, even with the kid leaving the field. It was as though they just ran through the plays as quickly as possible. The character development was weak as hell.

The back-up QB will be 25 in January. I looked him up on IMDB. Birth dates weren't available for some of the other players, but I saw one fella who looked like he might be old enough to have an 18-year-old son. I think he was a running back.

And that press conference was ridiculous. Kids responded to the questions as if they had been doing media interviews since birth. And the reporters were drilling them with questions that I'd never ask to an 18-year-old kid.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Also, I never saw anyone bundled up against the weather in September in five-plus years in Texas, not even out West.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think they should have a plot arc on this show which debates whether to walk the sideline or use the press box.

5. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Actually, that possession started at midfield after the onside kick, then the RB ran for what looked like a long gain, maybe to the 35 (and yes, inexpicably the clock keeps moving).Then, the QB drops back some 40-50 yards behind the line of scrimmage, throws the ball back to the original line of scrimmage where a receiver is behind the defense for the game-winning touchdown? What the hell?!?!?

Now, all that said, I did kinda like the show. It was a little too Dawson's Creek with the incessant makeout scenes, but it's got potential. They've gotta fix the problems with the football situations though if they want people who know anything about the game to watch.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Some of the football situations need to be tightened up, but that's hardly a reason not to watch the show. Besides, there's an awful lot that they got right, as far as the feel of high school football and the pressures of playing it in a small Texas town.

I thought it was an interesting twist that the star QB got hurt. You spend the first 45 minutes thinking he's going to be the player the show revolves around and then you find out that the backup QB you hardly noticed is apparently going to be the central figure in the series. Also, the comeback win is less of a cliche because you see the coach and his wife exchange a look that says even though they won, they know the team is in big trouble. That state championship probably just flew out the window and they better not make an offer on the house they were looking at. I hate to say it, but it sets up the rest of the season rather nicely.

7. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

There were a lot of little things that bothered me, most of which have been pointed out here. The comeback was a little too much. I thought it was hilarious that the parents were all bundled up for the "camp" or whatever it was the team had with the youth football team. I know the producers were probably going for a football feel, but it's freakin' Texas in September. A lot of the stuff was over the top and predictable. Could the feud between the running back and fullback be more obvious? And is one of the producers fascinated with the counter?

I'm trying to decide if I like the fact that the tv show is so much like the movie or if it will become annoying. At first I couldn't stand the coach, but he's beginning to grow on me. In fact, he looks a lot like one of the coaches in our area.

The best actor/actress in the whole thing is the coach's wife, not that it's that hard of a part to play. I thought Mack Brown's cameo was hilarious. The girls are smoking hot, and I'm pretty sure we get a little plumber's crack from the blond.

Overall, I was a tad disappointed, only because I expected something better than the movie, or at least an attempt at depth. I'm really not interested in any of the characters because I already know the general gist of what's going to happen. But, thanks to DVR, I'm hardly investing any time in giving the show a chance.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Give me Ampipe High any day.

9. I liked it better when it was called Varsity Blues.
    And you're dead on during the football scenes. I kept going to Mrs. Guy "I'm calling bullshit on that."

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I didn't TiVo it and I was working, so I didn't catch the inconsistencies with the clock and the yard lines.

But at least the action shots looked realistic to me. It wasn't Richie Cunningham sinking the game-winning basket on a court the size of my half-bathroom.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

people have to lighten up, nitpicking the football stuff. it's a freakin' tv show. now you understand why doctors/lawyers call bull on medical/crime shows.

these tv drams are primarily for the laymen in the audience. "friday night lights" will thrive or die based upon character development, not the reality of it's football scenes.

for all you "law and order" fans, you think any of those trial seuences, wrapped up in a tidy 12 minutes, are realistic? gimme a break. bring some realistic expectations, will ya?

12. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I caught this one at the gym doing my hour's worth of cardio. With that in mind, I'll point out that I didn't actually have the sound on for it - I was was watching it with subtitles.

I thought it wasn't a bad start, but it was extremely predictable. From the minute I saw the kid approach the coach's daughter and say he was the backup QB, I knew he'd end up saving the day. This will go along like Varsity Blues meets Dawson Creek -- not really my thing these days -- so unless I catch it every week while at the gym, I probably won't go looking for it.

And I'm bummed that I missed the Mack Brown cameo.

Draft saved Draft deleted