1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights II: Police lights, that is, for a former Permian star

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: Friday Nights Lights II: Police lights, that is, for a former Permian star

Because I'm BLOG!ing about it, one person I'm trying to get comment from (hope you're reading, Buzz!) is Buzz Bissinger. That's because Bissinger has said many times how close he is with the whole Chavez family. I've seen references to him traveling to Harvard to watch Brian graduate, and his family taking vacations with the Chavez family. Consistently, especially when everyone else in Odessa hated Bissinger, Brian Chavez was his biggest backer, the one most often to say that what Bissinger wrote was accurate.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Interesting angle, Bob, I didn't realize Bissinger had cultivated such a beyond the book relationship with the family. It does make you now wonder a bit about the exceedingly favorable portrait of the Chavez family painted in the book.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jail I think.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

At this point, I will give Bissinger the benefit of the doubt that he was unaware of any problems. After all, Chavez's old man didn't get sent to jail until well after Bissinger left Odessa. I would guess if there's anyone who would be shocked at this turn of events, it's Bissinger. After all, Chavez in other venues (ESPN had some video of him during the 20-year reunion) always came across as a nice, well-mannered, upstanding guy.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Not in jail now, but Boobie has retained Brian Chavez on occasion.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, and the book was about events 21 years ago. Obviously people's situations might change dramatically. At the time of the book, I doubt there was more to the story.

And Bissinger's been very open for his affection for the players, giving money to Boobie on occasion, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted