1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freeport (Ill.) Journal-Standard

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WeCoverPretzels, Aug 29, 2006.

1. WeCoverPretzels

WeCoverPretzels New Member

The Journal-Standard, a 15,000 a.m. daily, covering much of northwest Illinois, seeks a full-time sports writer to complete a four-person sports staff. Beats include area high school baseball, boys basketball, girls volleyball and other local sports via general assignment. We cover 20 high schools, Highland Community College, some NIU football and men’s basketball, as well as dirt-track auto racing and a variety of other local sports. On occasion we have ventured into the Big Ten and the Chicago pro sports scene. The successful candidate will be someone who is willing and who has shown the ability to hustle, break stories, enterprise and find the story, even in lopsided games. You will also be expected to contribute right away as the high school football season is upon us. Design experience is a major plus in applying for this position. This is a good job for talented recent grads or someone looking to move up from a weekly.

Former sports writers who have worked for The Journal-Standard in the last five years are now at the Charlottesville (Va.) Daily Progress, the Kalamazoo Gazette, Green Bay Press Gazette, Kane County (Ill.) Chronicle, South Bend Tribune and the Wisconsin State Journal.

Please send cover letter, 5-8 clips, resume and references to Sports Editor Alex Hickey, 27 S. State Ave., Freeport, IL 61032 or alex.hickey@journalstandard.com

No phone calls please.

2. WeCoverPretzels

WeCoverPretzels New Member

Between the 70 applications received and the fact I was in charge of four beats that were headed into the postseason at that time, not to mention the fact I was getting my feet wet started as a new sports editor, chances are not everybody got an e-mail or a call back. I got in touch with everyone that we seriously considered for the position, and if I had more time, believe me, I'd have thrown in the nicety of a rejection e-mail.

Draft saved Draft deleted