1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freeman's column on Mcfadden

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Omar_dont_scare, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Sound argument, or logical leap from the moral high ground? Discuss.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10674626

2. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

The problem with most point-counterpoint columns is that they're so contrived ... "OK, you take this side, and I'll take that side. Or maybe you should take that side, and I'll take this side."

But since you asked about Freeman's take, I'd say that it's ridiculous. With all the thugs getting paid millions in the NFL, you're going to draw the line at a guy who doesn't practice safe sex?

Please. Slow news week. Silly idea. Poorly executed.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it also needs context. how does mcfadden's fucking problem compare with others in his peer group (young black men)?

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Is McFadden a deadbeat dad? The column gives no evidence that he is. He's apparently promiscuous and irresponsible, but that's not a crime. It's certainly not the biggest problem for the NFL. A problem for society maybe, but not for the NFL.

Leo1, why would the story need to compare McFadden to other young black men? I don't see where that has anything to do with whether a team should risk a high draft pick on him, which is the issue that Freeman's talking about.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

What is his peer group? Young black men on the corner or young black men in college?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Two kids is a small family compared to some athletes. Don't know if McFaddin's situation merited the column.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think back to high school journalism class and having to write editorials for and against something and thinking, there's no way I'm going to have to do something this stupid in the real world -- this is going to be as useful as algebra on a newspaper.

Of course, back in the 1970s, it would not have occured to us to rip an athlete for screwing too much, except maybe Joe Namath, but even then in a wink-wink way, unless it was some constipated old fart writing for Archie Bunker. If we had, I imagine our readers, rightly, would have told us it's none of your fucking business.

It goes against the stereotype we have of ourselves in this business, but I've actually worked with a few people who could have one-upped McFadden. They were pleasant colleagues, they were good at their jobs and what they did on their own time was, umm, their affair. Not that I thought it was something to emulate -- life is challenging enough without such complications -- but there are far worse people. Women obviously liked them, at least temporarily.

It's probably not Freeman's fault, probably wasn't his idea. I'm no fan about moralizing in columns, really couldn't care less on a personal level who uses steroids, but even more because it makes journalists come off like some kind of jocko Taliban. It's boring, too.

8. EnZona

EnZona Member

"My belief is that within the next few years the problem of paternity and single fathers will eclipse performance-enhancing drugs as the biggest hot button issue in professional sports."

If the column is not a stretch or uncalled for, then that statement certainly is. Sadly, it some areas it's already reached this extent, but I quit the day I'm competing against TMZ and all that garbage to find out which offensive lineman fathered some lady's kid.

I can see it now ... the WWL bringing out its legal analysts and having so-and-so football guru make an "educated guess" as to who the father is based on the attributes of the newly-born kid.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Travis Henry, the white courtesy phone please ... it's Bristol calling ...

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Why is this such a, ahem, fucking problem with one part of our society?

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

if having kids out of wedlock is not out of the ordinary for young black men (and i'm not suggesting it is...i have no idea if more white or black men have out-of-wedlock children), then i think it's unfair to single out this trait as the reason not to draft him because it's like saying not to draft him because of something essentially the equivalent of normal.

anyway it's just my opinion. if i'm an NFL GM i would have no qualms about drafting him.

12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

OK, expand the scope of this a little just for the sake of argument.

Ponder the issues beyond the fact that D-Mc is a contender to become the mother of all fathers. He's been alleged to have had some semblance of a business arrangement with an agent while he was still toting the pigskin for the Razorbacks (refeuted despite the fact he was tooling around in a nice ride). He was handcuffed and detained (but not arrested) recently after exiting a nightclub that he was too young to be in legally.

Does it all add up th the proverbial red flag? No, not really. But maybe it points to a degree of immaturity and/or irresponsibility that could carry over to his first couple of pro seasons before the veterans in the locker room tell him to get his shit together. All in all, though, that doesn't scare be away.

If I'm not holding one of the first five draft picks but need a running back with the ability to get me 12,000 yards over his first 10 seasons, then I'm spending the next couple of weeks trying to trade up. If I already have a decent No. 1 back but he only has 2-3 years of tread left on his tires, I pass and hope the stars align so that I get my shot at next year's once-in-a-generation RB.

Draft saved Draft deleted