1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freeman shreds Urban Meyer for quarterback rotation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 9, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Florida is winning. That's all anyone cares about. Boosters, alumni, season ticket holders, students -- you get my point.
    Personally, I'd rather have a championship than an individual award.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agreed that Meyer's job isn't to produce Heismans. Do we need to go over the litany of Heisman Trophy winners who either failed to lead their college teams to even a conference championship (Paul Hornug, Gary Beban, Andre Ware, Barry Sanders, Rashaan Salam) or failed to accomplish anything in the NFL (Beban, Salam, Charlie Ward, Chris Weinke).

While I hate to praise Urban Meyer for anything (he's the control freak coach that I hate), he is doing something good for his team. When Florida gets in the red zone or in key short-yardage situations, and he brings in Tebow, the other defense is scared shitless. In the first few games, Meyer always hammered at them by running Tebow (and usually scored or got the first down). But against LSU, Tebow faked a run, pulled back and threw two TD passes. Think the defensive coordinators on the rest of Florida's schedule are going to be sleeping easy?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

hondo,

I would just like to point out that having a Heisman winner is good for the program, though. Good for prestige (especially at places that lack it), fan interest, donations, recruiting, etc.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Being in a Heisman race is an energy drain and a colossal distraction. I'm not sure the payoff is worth it, ultimately, for the program with the eventual winner.

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

except, of course, Tebow himself.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The way Tebow played against LSU, it's just the wrong week to question the occasional use of him at quarterback. The two quarterbacks make each other better. If Tebow helps Leak run the table, he gives him a chance at the Heisman. Leak's first loss is the one that ends any realistic chance at him winning the Heisman. If Florida continues to win with Leak taking 85 percent of the snaps at quarterback, he'll remain a justified Heisman finalist.

And, for Freeman's benefit, Meyer is helping Tebow's chances of getting a future Heisman by introducing him on a national level with as much buzz as any true freshman in college football. If Tebow plays 10 snaps against Auburn and has two turnovers in a three-point loss, then this is a column that makes sense. Until then, it's a stretch, and an awkward one at that.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I criticized Meyer on this board last year for mis-using Leak, making him run too much when he obviously wasn't comfortable and/or proficient at doing so. And if I had a national college football column, I would have written the same thing.

But it seems to me this rotation has been a nice solution for Leak as well, because it saves him some of the heavy lifting of running. And I don't understand how Freeman can criticize the jump pass, BECAUSE IT WORKED. Isn't getting in the end zone the point of this whole exercise? ???

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Think Vince Young cared he didn't win the Heisman when he crossed the end zone with a few ticks left against USC.

9. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Went back and read this from Mike's column: Not to put too fine a point on it, but Meyer is screwing Leak out of a potential Heisman so Meyer can look like he's the smartest guy in the room.

Uh, that's idiotic.

What's Meyer supposed to do, possibly lose games so Chris Leak can come in 5th in the Heisman balloting? This is just a thought, but do you suppose Leak would rather go back to the good ol' days of Ron Zook?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe Tebow should become the full time QB.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, there goes urban meyer again, blowing poor chris leak's heisman chances. :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

This column deserves to be read again. It actually looks even stupider now.

Draft saved Draft deleted