1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freeman shreds Urban Meyer for quarterback rotation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 9, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/9716131

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Interesting. The crux is in the last paragraph:
    ...Meyer will win multiple national championships. Who knows, maybe he will win one this year.

But in doing so, he will have tossed one of his own players to the wolves."

Last I heard, the coach is being paid serious bucks to win multiple championships, not pimp one of his quarterbacks for the Heisman. When did that set of priorities get turned around?

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

freeman has a blind spot for leak, a good college qb with no nfl future. if freeman had not worked in jacksonville, why would this even be on his radar?

who on earth gives a darn? urban's winning games, right? isn't that his job description?

and what kind of columnist uses the word "crap" in narrative? can't mikey find a more eloquent way to express himself? ??? ??? ???

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's the internet.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

That column is silly, especially, the whole "I know Chris Leak is mad" bit. Tebow is some kind of a player. Meyer wants him to start getting snaps. Meyer's job depends on him winning as many games as possible. If he can throw off teams by putting in a two quarterback system, so be it. Hell, I wish Les Miles would do the same thing with Ryan Perriloux.
    And this sort of musical quarterbacks thing is par for the course in Gainesville. Hell, for all you know Spurrier would have benched Leak and started Tebow. That would have really given Freeman something to bitch about.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Nobody wants to come out and say it, do they?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with Freeman to a point. I don't think it's the coach's job to help nudge a player toward a Heisman, but it might be a good thing for some schools in the long run.

I just don't understand this Tebow thing. What? Leak can't run? Tebow can't throw?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Go ahead, hondo. Play it.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Leak is slow as molasses, in an offense where the QB has to run a little (spread option). Meyer and Leak did a good job adapting to one another starting in the middle of last year, and Meyer doesn't ask Leak to run a whole lot. Leak is a great percentage passer and throws a good medium-to-deep ball.
    Tebow, however, runs a 4.5 40, at 6-3, and 230. And he's got a stronger arm, just doesn't have all the throws yet. And he is a freshman.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not me.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's horrible writing.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Make Tebow a fullback. Everyone's happy!

Draft saved Draft deleted