1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelancing on the side/second job?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Hello SJ,
    I come to you with another question, like an insatiable 5 year-old. My question is whether any of you guys work second jobs to bring in a little extra dough. I've written for a Web site that was posted on JJobs for a little money on the side. It pays $15 a story and I can do as much as I want, so I've consistently done some of that on the side to supplement my income from journalism.

Do any of you guys work a second job or freelance anywhere in addition to your full-time journalism job? I guess this question is more geared for the younger guys who are making sub-$30k, rather than the seasoned veterans around here or any bigwigs.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mow a lawn for $15, let alone write a story for that price.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about if I throw in a glass of lemonade?

For writing the story, that is.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fresh squeezed. None of that powder crap.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's a bad economy, Ace. Beggars can't be choosy. Take the powder crap or leave it.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Stir it up good, dammit!

7. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I should clarify, the stories are How To articles that take little-to-no research and about 10 minutes to complete. They are tedious so I only write around 5 a week, but $75 in my pocket (er, Paypal account) is nothing to laugh at, considering an added $300 a month is a sizable portion of my twice-monthly paycheck.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's cool. Hope I don't owe for that post.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

CountryTime is delicious

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

See? I can always find someone willing to write a story for $15 and some lemonade.

Blow it out your ass, Ace. Your services are no longer needed.

Ross, can you mow my lawn too?

11. lono

lono Active Member

FIXED.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

BleacherReport.com baybee!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted