1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelancers: Internet connection question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Jun 13, 2010.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Which do you use? I have a wireless card, but I need to get a cell phone plan. Which is cheapest, but more importantly which is most reliable?
    I have heard the Driod plan is pretty good. What are people using and what has been the most affordable?

2. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

If I can't find a free wireless access point to file, I connect my Blackberry to my laptop and send that way.

3. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I've been very happy with my Sprint wireless card. Unlimited access for $59.99 per month and I've been in some o the deadest spots around where my cell phone can't get a signal yet still have been able to connect.

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Hey RPM,
    May not work for everyone, but I've found a workaround to paying extra for a wireless card. I have the Sprint everything plan, and am using a windows smartphone that includes microsoft word. I save my story on my laptop in word on a micro sd card, then I put the card in my phone, and it pops up as a word file. Then I copy and paste, and send off in the body of an email. You can also use a data cable to transfer word files. I'm using the 450 plan, which costs $69 and gives you 450 anytime minutes with nights starting at 7, free mobile-to-mobile (anytime and with any carrier), unlimited text and data, sprint tv and a gps with free traffic alerts. You can get all kinds of other discounts with Sprint too (10 percent off for joining certain credit unions, among others). I also use a foldable external keyboard with my smartphone for situations where I don't want to lug around a laptop. It has limited use (transcribing, sending over agate, or 3 to 6 graph roundups), but is useful for what it is.
    Good luck!

5. LazyReporter

LazyReporter Member

[​IMG]

Or...

What EagleMorph said is the way to go. Blackberry makes it very easy these days to use your phone as a modem. Simply connect with USB, run the software and bam, good to go. Not as fast as the Interwebs, but plenty good for filing a story. Very handy in high school gyms and press boxes and anyplace else that has no Wifi. Drawback is in remote areas where there is no data signal. In that case, you are probably searching for the nearest Starbucks or McDonalds. You can get a Blackberry plan that includes phone and data for around $70 a month.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted