1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelancer Taxed Income Question (HELP!!!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

They should send a 1099 but not all do when it's under $400 (or $600, I forget which). Count anything you received as income anyway, obviously, and check the 1099s you do receive.
    One year, a client said I'd been paid $8,000 when it was $800. I had to get a substitute 1099 from them, useful for when the IRS, which didn't get the correction, questioned the difference. A copy of the sub 1099 and a contact name and phone number at the company took care of that.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you're a full-time freelancer, as someone said earlier, quarterly payments to the IRS are crucial. Not many have the discipline to lop off 15-20 percent of our checks the minute they arrive, but quarterly payments are the next best thing. Don't leave yourself open to getting crushed in April.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Plus they also hit you with penalties if you don't make quarterly payments that reflect a realistic amount.

Draft saved Draft deleted