1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance magazine editing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Apr 3, 2010.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, so I recently posted a thread about a nonfiction book I 'm going to be editing soon. In the meantime, I've got a chance to edit a series of articles a local professor is writing for a national dentistry journal (and yes, I expect it to be as painful to read as pulling teeth ... Hi YOOOO! :) ) .

Much like the book situation, I have no idea really what I should expect for compensation. The professor basically said "whatever you think is fair is fine by me." I don't want to gouge the guy, but I don't want to sell myself short either. I'm thinking that charging by the article is the way to go (looking at about four 2,000 word pieces). But again, not sure where to start on how much I should be making.

The plan is for him to submit a draft, I'll edit it through and return it to him before he gives me a second draft. We may go one more draft if necessary, but it should be only two or three drafts, tops.

Any advice?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted