1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance journalist confronts Jim Calhoun, who channels Drew Rosenhaus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Even if their "salary" from the state is capped, I don't think that has any impact on TV money, radio money, appearance money, shoe contracts and even possibly incentive clauses.

A lot of these coaches who are making in the $3 million range annually, "only" get about $1 million of that from the school and the rest comes from other places.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

I think you just went off-topic. Wasn't Zag's question about dollars, not gender?

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There may have been some attempt by the state legislature to cap even those things.

I've covered BE hoops and remember some hubbub about it, I don't know, circa 2003 ?? Didn't Auriemma threaten to quit?

I wish somebody from the CT horde would chime in.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I bet Alaska is one of them. :D :D :D

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How much more does the UConn make than the Providence coach?

CONNpay - PROVpay = A

How much more revenue does UConn bring in compared to Providence?

CONNrev - PROVrev = B

Is B > A ?

6. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I hate Jim Calhoun probably more than anyone on this board, and I think he was within his rights to say what he said. Completely inappropriate for the press conference setting to begin with, and like other people have pointed out, it's a lousy argument to boot.

Still, this one pales in comparison to his Ryan Gomes rant from a few years back.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the hypocrisy among so-called activists who want to get to the bottom of the financial crisis - and of course show that sports are evil -- yet do so by attacking coaches whose programs actually make money.

If this guy is truly interested in out-of-whack spending by college programs, why not go to the biggest money loser of then all women's basketball?

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You are comparing apples to oranges -- I think all salaries/compensation packages of coaches at publicly-funded universities and colleges -- or any college which receives any sort of grants or aid or funds from government -- should be made public record.

That isn't what this guy was asking Jim Calhoun, we know how much he makes -- he was asking him that "since you make $1.6 million in your salary, don't you feel bad about it given the state of the Connecticut economy?"

But as for the Paterno fight it was silly because it didn't tell us how much he makes -- it told us what his base salary was and that is far different than what he actually makes.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Ryan Gomes question a few years back was 100 percent a fair question.

10. Skipper

Skipper Member

Why doesn't this guy go ask all of the professors who are supposedly "educating" college kids if they're going to take pay cuts.

Here's a hint for him: Don't look in the classrooms.

Meanwhile, families will continually foot a larger bill every year as tuition rises, while the amount of classes taught by anything but grad students decreases.

Hell, we should probably be commending guys like Jim Calhoun. He's one of the few people making the school any money. If UConn is anything like the public state U I went to, tuition would be even higher without the athletic dept. donating millions every year.

11. zag --

Your misogyny on this board is too well-established to walk back now.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Calhoun, surprisingly, getting beat up a bit on the four-letter radio net this afternoon.

I'll take his side on this one – he should get paid more, he's having a better year than any other state employee.

Draft saved Draft deleted