1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance invoicing requiring PDF of stories in print

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by formulacola, Oct 16, 2013.

1. formulacola

formulacola Member

Starting this football season, my freelance invoices for The News Journal in Delaware require me to send a PDF of the work I did in print after it appears in the paper (which for me, living a little ways from the paper's circulation area, is a moderate inconvenience).

Does anyone know if this is a Gannett-wide policy now, or if it's just this paper?

2. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

You have to prove to them that your stuff ran in their paper? Shouldn't they know that already?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, seems a little odd. When I submit freelance check requests, I have to provide proof of publication. We have a tidy archive area in our system. I type in the name and date range, hit print and attach it to the request.
    That's on them, not you.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've been freelancing almost 30 years now and I have never heard of that.

Usually I'm the one asking them to send me a copy of the paper.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I've done a little stringing for the local Gannett paper this football season and didn't have to do anything to "prove" I wrote the story. Didn't even have to send an invoice.

So it's that paper's policy - and a ridiculous one.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the person who is in charge of processing payments doesn't want to do any work. Send me your information and proof you wrote an article and I'll pay it as opposed to keeping a log and knowing who his/her writers are, what was assigned and when it was published.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Very odd policy.
    Most places I freelance send the W-whatever form and the contract agreement. They never make me send anything but those (though I will say one place that once asked for my work for had a 6-page contract agreement, requiring me to initial each page, and sign, dates and notarize the last page. At some point, the freelance check isn't worth it.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've freelanced for a bunch of publications and never heard of anything like that.

9. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I've been at a Gannett shop for eight years, and it's been policy for I'd say the last three or four here.
    What I usually tell our correspondents is that the invoice center (which is not only not on site, but it's not even in this time zone) needs proof of publication. PDF of the paper or a copy of a tearsheet, whichever makes your life easier.
    And if the correspondents ask, I do send them PDFs of a page from our archive.

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Gannett freelance invoices have been either outsourced or consolidated to a central location. I think it's in Colorado?

Printouts off our website must qualify as proof, because one freelancer who lives outside the coverage area got huffy when his stories weren't all posted. Sometimes we've requested stuff which only ran online due to time or space constraints, and I haven't heard of problems getting paid.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My wife regularly freelances for a Gannett paper and has never had to do anything like that. Absurd.

Draft saved Draft deleted