1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom Communications sells 4 papers...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lesboulez, May 17, 2012.

1. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

as rumors swirl about freedom properties, this comes out today:

The Telegraph in Alton, Ill., The Journal-Courier in Jacksonville, Ill., The Sedalia Democrat in Sedalia, Mo., and The Lima News in Lima, Ohio, all sold to Versa Capital Management

http://www.gazette.com/articles/four-138735-communications-parent.html

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

For a moment there, I thought this was about circulation.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, no need to brag.

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I laughed out loud when I read this. Well-played, sir.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

In Texas, The Monitor (McAllen), Valley Morning Star (Harlingen), Brownsville Herald and Mid-Valley Town Crier (Weslaco) were among other papers Freedom sold today.

6. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

That company is getting small quickly. The TV stations have been sold, as well. I think they're down to North Carolina, Florida, California, Colorado Springs and Yuma at this point.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Who is the new owner of those?

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

AIM Media Texas. This is evidently a new private equity group. One Jeremy Halbreich will be the CEO. He used to be at the Dallas Morning News and the Chicago Sun-Times.

And the Orange County Register says the group that bought the San Diego paper is in negotiations with Freedom for that paper. Does the Orange County paper have a nice office building the San Diego owners could sell to pay for the Register and then consolidate operations in San Diego or vice versa?

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Does anyone know if this is good for the papers involved? I'm not familiar with Halbreich, but it seems the company headquarters will be in McAllen, while the owners are based in Dallas.

10. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

Freedom announced sale of N.C. and Fla. papers to Halifax.

http://www.newbernSportsJournalists.com/news/irvine-106899-journal-papers.html

11. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Oh hell ... there's some good N.C. papers in that mix -- Burlington, Gaston Gazette, Shelby and others ...

12. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Well, Daytona Beach's editor used to be the editorial director of Freedom's Florida papers, and prior to that he was the editor of one of Freedom's Florida dailies. So no real surprise there.

Draft saved Draft deleted