1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free-range kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We let our 9 year old walk home from school unsupervised when she has a playdate with a friend and doesn't want to go with her 6 year old brother. But there are no main roads and the walk is probably 1/3 of a mile. I don't think that there is anything wrong with that.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

What's insane is the activities. It is required that we stay at practices unless we work out an agreement with the coaches. I probably watched over 100 hours of 7 and 8-year-olds practicing football in each of the last two years. I doubt either of my parents logged 10 minutes watching me practice during the 10 years I played.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's nuts. It was pretty rare for my parents to stick around for practices. They never missed a game, but practice was their time to get shit done.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I generally go to my kids practices, but mostly because I coach, or in those sports where I don't coach, feel guilty not seeing them enough during the week. I don't think my mom ever attended a game which I played, much less a practice -- she went to grad school or tutored at night and it just wasn't expected.

When I superivse playdates, even with my 6 year old, I pretty much don't do anything except for make food/snacks and deal with any arguments. I pretty much do chores, work or work out. Mrs. W. tends to be more of a hoverer.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Hover over 6 year olds while they play?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's definitely off the wall that a bunch of guys with little kids who dominate their lives would want to occasionally talk about it.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

That's the appalling part to me. CPS is called, they have to check, but when everything was cleared up, back the fuck up and leave this family alone.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not at all. I enjoy hearing about it.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That has to be a liability thing, right? So that a kid can't accuse a coach of something later.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Reason No. 9,468,341 why Maryland is the worst place on Earth.

JackReacher likes this.
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Things are different than when I was a
    There's less crime overall and less violent crime in particular than when I was a kid.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

"Free-range kids." Used to just be called "kids."

JackReacher and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted