1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Advertising,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Mar 20, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

At some events, you're "required" to use only certain cups that correspond with the sponsoring company. For example, if Coke is a sponsor, you must use Powerade, Coke or Sprite cups. Any ethical qualms doing this?

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You're not required to drink the courtesy beverages in the first place.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd like to comment, but I'm drinking a Coke right now.

But seriously, this is a thread?

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Just tape over them if they bother you.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Nothing "free" about that. Those companies pay a lot of money for exclusivity.

6. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Good to see Roy Williams checking in here on the board.

(Seriously, though, Ol' Roy made no fewer than four mentions of the cup thing this weekend on the podium in Charlotte. Even brought his own cup up there and poured from one to the other before tossing it behind him. He is beyond ridiculous.)

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I asked an NCAA rep about this. Here is his response: "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who munches and sips under the blanket of the very hospitality I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I'd rather you just said 'Thank you' and went on your way."

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This.

If you feel a logo on a cup is going to corrupt you, you really ought to reexamine your standards. And to answer the next questions, I have no problem calling it the "Old Rotgut Greater Podunk Open," but at the same time can draw the line at "Podunk Youth Baseball would like to thank the following sposors for their support this season ..."

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

That was pretty cool, JD. Well done.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it bothers you so much, then bring your own drink.

Now, if you do that, and someone objects because it's not the sponsor, remind them that this isn't North Korea.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Way back when I was covering this stuff, they wouldn't allow you to bring a can or bottle of anything to press row. Had to be in an NCAA cup. I asked the guy how long he'd been with the Gestapo and he didn't like it too much.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

At the arena hosting two NCAA games today, where it's presently halftime of the second game, there is a stack of cups right beside the media entrance to courtside and a person watching for non-Powerade cups.

Really, doesn't make a difference to me, except it now means there are cups of drinks on press row and not water bottles with lids. Makes the chances of spills a lot greater. My only gripe.

Draft saved Draft deleted