1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freddy Adu Traded to Real Salt Lake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20061211&content_id=80216&vkey=pr_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

Posted it on the big thread, but worth its own discussion.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What does major allocation mean? Did Salt Lake send money?

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

In MLS' convoluted player acquisition system, an allocation is essentially the right to acquire a high-level, established player (the league, not the individual teams, signs and pays all players), usually one from another country. It's not a transfer of salary cap room, however.

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Get ready, Idaho!

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This may as well be, but to me this seems a little shortsighted on RSL's end. Adu turns 18 next summer. You think he's going to insist on a transfer out of there as soon as that happens, 'cause I sure do. Good bit of business by United.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

UNITED BIDS FREDDY 'ADU'

:D

7. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Mark my words: Adu will not be in MLS by 2008.

If you are a U.S. National Team fan, you have to be pissed at this move.
    Playing for RSL won't help him very much. He'll always have the added pressure of being the savior of the National Team (thanks, ESPN!), but now he doesn't have the players around him to help him succeed.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

And so Nowak completes his deconstruction project.
    May DCU rot in last place.
    May Adu get a transfer deal, pronto.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

When I saw this last night my jaw just dropped. I couldn't believe that DC would make a trade like that. I will agree with Bullrog and say that Freddy isn't in MLS in 2008.

RSL will receive an allocation once Freddy is sold to an overseas team. But that is unlikely to occur during the middle of the season (in my mind).

10. I'm a diehard DCU fan, and I must say that this deal is great for both parties. Adu was never liked on the United squad, whether it be his constant look at the other side of the pond or his salary. Besides, he's not really that good.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Is that the case? I thought that once you traded away the allocation, you didn't get another one. Wouldn't they have to either a) acquire one through a trade or b) take on an allocation player after he arrives?

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Hard to always be good when your jealous, low-rent coach is undermining you all the time.
    (Nice job, Peter, yanking Adu when he was your most effective attacker in a game where you were behind a goal. Hope you enjoyed watching MLS Cup on TV, even though you had the best talent in the league).

Draft saved Draft deleted